German Blue Rams in a 10 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're a tough customer huh?? Only one way to learn...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a few questions about the Bolivian Ram. Would they be ok in my 10 gallon, because GBRs get 3 in. too, and no one says no to keeping them in 10 gallon tanks.
Bolivian rams definitely get bigger. In my experience GBR's will be sub 3" and Bolivian rams are ~3.5". On top of that, Bolivian rams are quite a bit more active than your average GBR. Honestly, a single GBR in a 10g tank would be pushing it. A bolivian ram would be too much.

The best suggestion I have seen so far is a single male A. cacatuoides. However, before you get any more fish you should prove to yourself that you are really capable of doing the weekly maintenance. Otherwise you are just buying a soon to be dead fish. It will probably take several large water changes to get to the point where you would even want to add a fish to it.

Thanks for giving me the raw truth guys, instead of someone telling me to do a discus or oscar in a 2.5!(It's all happened before lol :) But I think i could do the weekly water change. To bad that I can't do the Bolivian Ram, they are much hardier than the GBRs. I will try and prove to myself that I CAN do the water changes, and I won't give up! Will the cockatoo try and nip my Cories?

Nils

Oh, and I am keeping 2x Peppered cores, and 3x Julii cores. They are very nice, and and one of the Julii cores is a female, the other 2 are a male. They bred about 20 times without me doing anything special, but unfortunately all of the eggs grew fungus or algae, and then died.

You are pretty maxed on fish anyway.
C paleatus aka Peppered Cory hit just under 3".

C trilineatus aka 3 Lined Cory are probably what you have, NOT julii.
Most stores don't sell julii. They call trilinieatus C julii to sell fish.

3 Lined get 2" or a bit more.

Your current fish actually could use a bigger tank.

Do weekly water changes. Keep testing your water. For now you could probably add CPDs. If you have live plants and keep water quality up.

Just realize your Cories will probably be a bit stunted and not live as long. They can live over 10yrs.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=508

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=378

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

http://youtu.be/pIuaIm01Yyw

If you've ever seen a big adult female C paleatus you'd know just how big they get. The vid I linked shows how adults look. It's still not a great comparison.

These are C habrosus. Adults hit 1" , so in the future , that is the size of Cory I recommend for 10g.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415231368.095526.jpg

Enjoy your fish, keep them clean.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, then I might think it over. I am probably going to do a water change either on Friday or Saturday, whenever I have the time. I am still in school, and so I don't have lots of time for the tank. How much do cockatoos usually cost? Do they have any special feeding needs at all?

Nils

Oh great, now when I tell my mom that she will freak and probably make me give the fish away. But I might be able to convince her to let me have a 20 gallon :brows: Haha, this might actually end well. Then I cold get some cichlids with them.......THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! Anyway, any information on cockatoos?

Nils

And you said that those in the video are what I thought were Peppered Cories? Because mine are at least 2 1/2 inches right now.....uh oh. They seem happy though, but lets see about that 20 gallon.

And you said that those in the video are what I thought were Peppered Cories? Because mine are at least 2 1/2 inches right now.....uh oh. They seem happy though, but lets see about that 20 gallon.

Yes, the vid is C paleatus aka Peppered Cories.

This is a nice vid showing why sand is great for Cory tanks
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

Haha they are very cool! I love Cories, but my mom says once they get as huge as they are supposed to, then I will have to sell them :-(. She says no to a 20 gallon, but she wants to have a tank, just plants, no fish, so maybe I can convince her to let me have a 20 if she gets the 10. Then I can also get the Rams. But, we'll see. I am really mad at the LFS for lying to me about the Cories. And after that video, I think I will reshape my tank and put sand in.

Nils

Most LFS only see the young fish. Many don't have long term display tanks.

Many web sites recommend Cory Cats for 10g.

It's just common misinformation.

And yeah, sand is cool.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415234915.712745.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415234958.181124.jpg

Thanks Coursair, you have helped me a lot. I guess bye-bye to the cory cats, once they reach 3". Well, maybe not, but my mom is hard to convince. Maybe my dad will help :brows:. But you have helped a lot. The "Juliis" are getting pretty big, and have grown a lot since I bout them. BTW, I like your name, I fly RC versions of the Corsair, very smooth plane. But thanks man, you have done a lot.

Nils

You are welcome Nils.

Coursair is my kennel name. Coursair Whippets since 1988

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415256217.151725.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415256233.785649.jpg

Tina
Coursair Whippets home of
MBIF FC Flying Falconet of Coursair FCh MC

Those are some awesome dawgs :). Make sure you sign my petition for a 20 long, for Bolivian Rams and My awesome Cories!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/petition-for-a-20-long-322993.html#post3084291

Thats the link!

Nils

If you can't keep up water changes on a 10g, what hope is there of you doing it on a 20g? When people tell you to do weekly water changes you realise people are talking about somewhere near 50% of the aquarium water replaced don't you?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea duh...... lol I know. I am doing more water changes, and I am getting a water testing kit soon!

I saw some Electric Blue Rams at PetSmart today, and they are awesome! And they said that they have had them for a while now, a half month. If that is true, then that means their water is really good. Could I get some if I started doing water changes?

Nils

Heed the advice given to you in the previous posts...it is not a wise decision with the aquaria&your money...save up for a bigger tank,prove to yourself that you can keep up the weekly maintenance required&then wait about 6 months for your tank to mature...HEED THE ADVICE...FCOL!

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL ok!
I am on the verge of getting my mom to let me buy a 20 gallon, I am so close! Once I get a 20 gallon, I will probably move the cories and then get some bolivan rams. Does anyone have any information about Peacock Gudgeons?

Nils

Not to be short but if your gonna advance yourself as an aquarist you'll need to take on the simple battles on your own... Google "peacock gudgeon profile"& there will be all the info at your fingertips...same goes for other fish&or live plants..best of luck

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom