Getting a Betta! Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChibiRedPanda

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am getting a new betta. I have had one before, and he got sick and died. I got him from PetCo, and only had him for about a week. I was devestated when he died. I have decided to get another betta, and possibly a neon tetra. But mainly a betta. I would like to know any information about bettas, general care, or needed supplies so I dont kill my new little fishy friend! Please help! :)

Hi, I am getting a new betta. I have had one before, and he got sick and died. I got him from PetCo, and only had him for about a week. I was devestated when he died. I have decided to get another betta, and possibly a neon tetra. But mainly a betta. I would like to know any information about bettas, general care, or needed supplies so I dont kill my new little fishy friend! Please help! :)

Bettas need a 5 Gallon heated and filtered tank. It needs to be cycled and once cycled you need to do a 15-25% water change every week. Google how to acclimate your betta once you get him. If you want neon tetras you need a minimum of 6 since they are schooling fish and a 20 gallon tank.

First off, the questions..

What size tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Do you have a test kit to make sure your water parameters are in check?

Well, my tank is kinda small...to be honest, idk how much water it holds. Its not cycled. But I have bought some liquid water conditioner because that bottled fresh water is so expensive.

ChibiRedPanda said:
Well, my tank is kinda small...to be honest, idk how much water it holds. Its not cycled. But I have bought some liquid water conditioner because that bottled fresh water is so expensive.

If your tank isn't to bigger than a fish bowl my best guess is under the 5 gal range. If its under 5 gallons you could always take a controlled container ie: 1 gallon milk jug and see how many it takes to fill it.

Oh, ok. This is gonna b my second fish...and I dont wanna screw things up. What I would like to do is put my betta on my desk. The little bowl thing I have is perfect for my desk.

Well bettas can survive in bowls but are not really happy. I'm amazed at how active my is in his 5G compared to ones that are in small bowls and just sit there. Not trying to sound mean but in a heated and filtered tank a betta can EASILY live 5+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what stores try to make you believe, bowls are not suitable for betta fish. You need at least a five-gallon tank with a filter.

I would really like my betta to live longer than a week or two. But I really dont have the money to go out and buy a 5 gal tank, and a light and heater. And I would have no where to put it.

5G is not that big. It can be put in a corner of a cabinet. I have a betta in a 4.4G flatback hex, 5G and 10G (my betta in here is not alone) and they are all very happy with the temp of 80 deg. They are one active fella.

**Edit: Most tank comes in with a light hood and filter. You can get a mini heater if you like. It is not that expensive.

Last edited:
you can usually get a kit for 50$. Remember were not here to tell you what to do but to help you and try to steer you in the right direction. If you can't get a 5G and really want a betta we won't stop you. Just keep up with water changes.

Ok. As much as I would like to get a 5 gallon tank, I highly doubt my parents would get me one. This is only my second fish. And if I got a 5 gal tank, I would like to put more fish in it. Are there any other fish I can put in with a betta?

Not in a 5G. You can put in ghost shrimp though if they have enough places to hide.

Oh. How big is a 5 gal anyway? Could u give me like a size comparison or something? I dont know.

I used to have a Betta and they are so easy to take care of my lasted for like 3 years till my cat ate him

I used a simple 5 gallon tank from pj's pet
-I added nutrafin aquaplus witch is also found in any pet store, it is a conditioner for tap water and does a lot of stuff for their scales and coats
-I feed a couple Betta pellets for lunch morning and before I went to bed
-I didn't have a fluted but every few days I would dump all the water out and clean it
-I never put light on it for more than a couple hours
-I also never put another fish in the tank with it cause Betta is a chinse fighting fish
Hope this helped

Attachments

• image-663136878.jpg
    image-663136878.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3017026588.jpg
    image-3017026588.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3525140137.jpg
    image-3525140137.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 138
Wow, thanks goldfish girl! Thts really helpful, and im sorry about your fish..lol

No prob...I made my fish a funeral and got some goldfish insted lol and also they like peas well...mine did

Lol, thts so cool. When my poor Kyo died, I just flushed him down the toilet...yeah...it was akward. Lol

Back
Top Bottom