Getting QT ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added a new sponge filter/powerhead to my tank 12 days ago, and added a new Eheim 2217 last weekend which I seeded with media from an existing Eheim 2213 from another established tank.

These new filters are running alongside an AquaOne Moray 700 internal canister and an AC70 which have been up and running on the tank a year, the idea being that when I (finally!) get my new 4x2x2 that the two new filters will be ready to go on the new tank and be instantly cycled. (I may still use the internal canister as well for a few weeks to be sure)

I am hoping to pick up some new fish this weekend and wondering if I took the AC70 to use for my QT, if I will be compromising the cycle in my existing tank being that it will then only have one established filter running with the two new ones?

Any thoughts?

I would say if it's been up a year and you're not adding any additional bio load then it should handle it just fine. Just make sure when you out your already established filter on your new tank you have fish in/food in to maintain the bacteria in your media.

Ok that's good to know.

Now further to that, how long before I bring my new fish home should I ideally be putting the established filter onto my QT tank? A day? A few hours? I will be drip acclimating them.

I was thinking about getting 5-6 new fish. The QT is 17 gal. I know I'll have to keep a close eye on it and do frequent water changes but I believe it will be best to add at least this many fish at a time? I'm having some aggression issues which is partly due to having a few females and under stocking. Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still quite a newbie ;)

Well I picked up 5 new fish today and I'm so excited! I drip acclimated and so far, so good. They are all eating and swimming around the QT :)

New stock: 2 synodontis multipunctatus, 1 yellow peacock, 1 blue peacock and 1 OB peacock.

Back
Top Bottom