Ghost shrimp always hiding help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two ghost shrimp in a tank with a few other fish who utterly ignore them yet they spend ALL day hiding under their Marimo moss ball. I've tried everything to encourage them out including dropping a few shrimp pellets right infront of the moss ball I moved it slightly just to see if they had died but they're still alive!

Any advice how I can encourage them to move around the tank more? Should I add more of them maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What? O..O

They're labeled bottom feeder pellets/Shrimp Pellets I don't think they actually contain shrimp

What kind of hiding places? Plants or?

I've found in the past they generally tend to hide more than others do. Having only two in your tank, they may feel a bit threatened or intimidated and perhaps adding 2-3 more may quell that feeling. Then again, it may not change.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.

Alright I'll pick up three of them next time at petsmart.

What? O..O

They're labeled bottom feeder pellets/Shrimp Pellets I don't think they actually contain shrimp

What kind of hiding places? Plants or?

Where ever they like to hide the most. My experience with shy animals of all sorts (especially kuhli loaches) is that the more places they have to hide, the safer the feel and the more they venture out.

Where ever they like to hide the most. My experience with shy animals of all sorts (especially kuhli loaches) is that the more places they have to hide, the safer the feel and the more they venture out.

+1 all the way !!! And as pointed out before, they can be cannibals.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.

I've never found Ghost shrimp to be cannibals.. unless you mean that they will eat each other after they die. That's true, they are scavengers and that is what scavengers do. Almost all shrimp will eat other dead shrimp, and fish and snails and anything else dead they find. Females will eat their young if they catch one, but they don't appear to actively hunt them, which is more than I can say for a lot of female fish !

They are much bolder in tanks with lots of plants, rocks and wood and about a dozen of their own kind. The more of them there are, the braver they tend to be and the more hiding spots there are, the braver they tend to be also.

Shrimp pellets are in fact made with shrimp, usually intended for fish but I've yet to meet a shrimp that did not like them. They also like sinking pellets and algae pellets or tabs.

The "Bottom Feeder/Shrimp" pellets are definitely made of shrimp! I feed those to my Corydoras catfish and was surprised to see my shrimp go at them the other day. Shrimp are cannibalistic and are not herbivores. They're scavengers. If there's a dead shrimp in the tank they'll eat it. They'll even kill smaller ones

I raised a number of broods of Ghost shrimp, this is the American native species, palaemonetes. They will eat their babies, if they catch one, but I never saw them go after them once they'd reached about 3/8" to 1/2" inch in size. I kept them with both large and miniature Fan shrimp, Snowballs [ white cherries ] and other shrimp species, and the only living shrimp they ever went after that I saw, were very small babies. Even the Snowballs were safe from them once they got to about 3/8 inch or so.

Did I watch them every minute ? No, of course not. I know some of the little shrimp did get eaten. But so long as I removed mother Ghosts from the brood tank after they dropped their eggs, most of their larvae lived to morph and most of those lived to grow up. I could put them into the main tank when they got to 3/8" or so and not worry about them.

I had several Ghosties born in the main tank who actually grew to adulthood in it too. They were in danger from danios, cories and kuhli loaches as well as other shrimp. Plenty of plants, rocks 'n wood gave them enough hiding spots, so that only a few became dinners. Of course I fed them well, which helps too. The shrimp populations grew steadily, except for the fan shrimp, who need brackish water for their larvae to survive.

I fed mine a mix of shrimp pellets and algae sinking pellets. They are omnivores, so they eat both animal and plant based foods. Algae is extremely nutritious and they'll eat it when they find it. But a nice high protein snack of dead shrimp or fish is always going to be eaten with gusto. They'll clean out a clam or snail shell to perfection too if the original inhabitant dies.

mine do this off and on. At first they were small but as one molted and doubled in size its out and about happily eating off plants, ground debre and the driftwood swatting fish away.

I just bought 2 tiny cherry shrimp after searching for some time to get a couple. I would have bought more but there werent many in the tank and I promised a buddy I would get him a couple if I ran into them.

They were fine swimming around for 2 days then disappeared. Hopefully not eaten by the ghost or fish but I think they simply found a nice hiding spot to nibble on things safely until theyre a bit bigger. Those bugger are FAST!

Back
Top Bottom