Glowfish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have seen the glofish stuff everybody sells but today I saw Glowfish. The girl at the store swore they weren't dyed and that the color wouldn't fade that it was genetic??? WTF? Those colors just aren't natural.
I wouldn't buy one, but what your take on them?

There is no such thing except bioluminescence, and that is rarely found in top dwelling creatures, more commonly found in the deep sea, ad it doesn't really glow

They are genetically modified however they breed true so the ones in the store probably had nothing done to them. The color will not fade. My Mom has a bunch. I have heard that their not as hardy however hers seem to do fine.

Some kinds are injected with dye. The others are modified with a jellyfish gene I believe. Check out the tatooed fish if you want to start going crazy.

Although I can understand how people are taken in by the novelty factor, like wearing goldfish in the soles of high heel shoes, but since it really isn't a positive thing for the fish I wouldn't consider such things...of course.

I am not a fan of the genetically modified fish either. Weird to me! They are so beautiful naturally.

I have a 30 gal tank set up with a bunch of them in it for my kids. The blue actinic light really makes them glow. I didn't put all the glow in the dark stuff it but my kids love the way they look. At night when it's dark in the room they look pretty neat.

They are genetically modified. I personally think they look horrible.

They also come with a license. License Notice
Terrible.

So if you can't trade or sell unwanted offspring, does that license require that they be euthanized?

I truly hope the genetically modified fish can't breed with natural fish and contaminate the natural fish population with their jelly fish genes :(

The original Glofish were zebra danios genetically modified (GM) with genes from jellyfish. They were not developed for fish keeping, but rather the scientists were trying to develop a fish that would selectively fluoresce in the presence of pollutants. This was an overall failure, but the glofish industry was born.
There are now multiple varieties besides danios, including GM white skirt tetras, and more recently tiger barbs.

These are not dyed or tattooed fish, and they will breed true (meaning keep the color in subsequent generations). There have also been reports of them breeding with regular non modified danios, and the offspring have some of the color but not as intense. They seem to have decreased breeding ability overall though.

Glofish are only sold in the US, with the exception of California. California has a ban on GM fish of any kind.

I purchased six of them 3 years ago, because my kids wanted them really badly. Of the original 6, one remains, and appears quite healthy. I will not purchase any more, now that I know what I know. I have an ethical issue with GM strictly for aesthetics.
As Paul Harvey used to say, "and now you know.... the rest of the story."

The original Glofish were zebra danios genetically modified (GM) with genes from jellyfish. They were not developed for fish keeping, but rather the scientists were trying to develop a fish that would selectively fluoresce in the presence of pollutants. This was an overall failure, but the glofish industry was born.
There are now multiple varieties besides danios, including GM white skirt tetras, and more recently tiger barbs.

These are not dyed or tattooed fish, and they will breed true (meaning keep the color in subsequent generations). There have also been reports of them breeding with regular non modified danios, and the offspring have some of the color but not as intense. They seem to have decreased breeding ability overall though.

Glofish are only sold in the US, with the exception of California. California has a ban on GM fish of any kind.

I purchased six of them 3 years ago, because my kids wanted them really badly. Of the original 6, one remains, and appears quite healthy. I will not purchase any more, now that I know what I know. I have an ethical issue with GM strictly for aesthetics.
As Paul Harvey used to say, "and now you know.... the rest of the story."

The jellyfish gene has been used in other genetic modification research beyond fish. Researchers have used it as a marker to show when a gene that causes resistance to feline AIDS was successfully transferred into a cat embryo - the two genes were linked so where one went, so did the other. To the naked eye, the cats look normal, but they fluoresce under UV light. Genetic modification, like with most things has both good and bad aspects; there are those who will use them for their own personal gain (I.e. Glofish), and there are those who will use them for more noble purposes. Glow-in-the-dark cats are a little creepy at first, but that technology could lead the way to a treatment or cure for HIV and other diseases...

Incidentally, it's a fairly easy procedure to do. We inserted the GFP into E.coli in my microbiology lab last semester.

It would keep them from getting hit by cars while riding their bikes or walking in the dark. On the downside they would make good targets.

There are also Beagles that glow under black light. I cannot remember if it was in China or Japan that this was first done. They were studying the transfer of genes to help with disease. A noble idea but of course someone will want to make money from it. If the money is used to further study treatments for inherited disease than that would be great.

What kind of light do you have? What company how many colors?

What are the fish like, are they peaceful or are they nippy. I want to put them with an eel and I don't want him bugged.

What kind of light do you have? What company how many colors?

What are the fish like, are they peaceful or are they nippy. I want to put them with an eel and I don't want him bugged.

Well they are nippy and your fish would probably eat them after he gets bigger depending on what tip of fish

My eel will move to my 125 gallon as soon as he is big enough that he won't get eaten by my Barbs. Right now he's about the size of a night crawler and he wouldn't make it to the bottom of the tank.

I don't like nippy fish. The FS has danio's and white tetras. I'll probably go with the danio's then. They are a pretty mellow fish.

Glofish, the original ones, are danio. They are zebra danios that have had the glo gene from a marine organism added. So wouldn't they still act like a danio?

Back
Top Bottom