Glowfish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure it wasn't just a gold dojo? I think they only make danios tetras and barbs at this point...

+1 on the it not being a glow one. I often see them putting not glow fish in the glow fish display cause they look cool. They have black lights in there so anything that is a light color looks cool. At mine they put albino plecos and albino Cory cats in them and they look like they too are glow fish but they aren't

Not to beat a dead horse but......

Attachments

• 1391988807768.jpg
    1391988807768.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 136
I don't have any sort of ethical problem with them.....I just think they're tacky:lol:

There are PLENTY of fish bred for characteristics that don't appear naturally - like long fins or certain markings (like ALL the mollies, for example), but people don't get up-in-arms about it unless it's something so in-your-face.

The only ethical problem I have with them is how they're marketed; children are attracted to them like moths to flame, and knowing this, the glo fish company also makes tanks that are in the price range their parents are willing to shell out, which is WAAAAYYYYY too small for any glo fish. The biggest "glo fish" kit carried at our local store is 10gal, which could support a school of 3 tetras or 5 danios, maybe. Of course, children want more, more MORE! But they make down to 1 gal....unfiltered, unheated. Good luck keeping any alive in that :(

Pets shops will tell u anything the man told me when I started fish keeping that I could have a ghost knife,african butterflyfish,angelfish,and 2 swords in my 15g

Beware the zombie thread! This was started back in August of '13 guys and keeps getting resurrected, the original posters have all moved on :p

Beware the zombie thread! This was started back in August of '13 guys and keeps getting resurrected, the original posters have all moved on :p

Is there anything wrong with an old post getting picked up again and again? :confused:

And Foxy - that drives me INSANE. I work at a pet store, and one of my questions at my interview was "I have a 5gal. tank, what can I put in it?" I answered "beta", because I have one in a 5 gal...after killing the two comet gold fish the LFS told me to get :facepalm:.

It all depends on location.

To tie this into the original post....our employees ARE selected in part on their knowledge of animals, but one of the things that makes our jobs very difficult is that EVERY tank out there has a picture on the front with FAR FAR FAR too many fish...glo fish is one of the brands that is the worst at this.

Ahh there you are GodFan, welcome back to our favorite undead post :)

Lol its not that I terribly mind but we are rehashing again and again lol new posters dont read previous post even!

I'd rather see a zombie thread than another new one on this topic.

I'd rather see a new one because people who don't realize it's a zombie thread don't read through all the piles of previous responses and keep responding to points... They usually read until they have something they feel they need to respond to and don't realize it was posted by people months ago who are no longer here and are repeating a response that was previously made :p

People are gonna post their thoughts regardless of it being a new or old thread. In some cases repeat themselves again.

I'm done now. Sorry.

See? Now your sucked back in. You could just....not click on it agin, right?

Sorry, but I'm confused - you say new posters aren't reading, but I did....there was discussion, then you mentioned it as a zombie post. No one else mentioned that we modify fish all the time for aesthetics, so rehashing? Are you referring to other threads? I get ethical questions about them all the time from customers, so I understand there may be 19748794893 threads on the same topic. No need to respond if you don't want to keep the beast going, just wanted to defend myself and educate myself on proper forum etiquette :)

Okay, well I have some real questions about the keeping of glofish. I will spare you guys a new thread and just ask on here.

A little backstory, bare with me....My oldest son, who has had some behavior issues in the past, just made honor roll, and got his 1st job. My boyfriend and I have been trying to interest him in our aquarium hobby because we feel it is a good family activity we can all work on together. He wants to save up for his own aquarium, and he wants glow everything. He is super excited about it, and I really want to help and encourage him.

Now my questions....Do you really need to buy a specific glow aquarium? They are so overpriced! I would like him to be able to get a 30-40 gallon. I was told that it is blue LED lighting that really make the fish glow, and also told that it is a blacklight. Which is it? Or will they both work? Couldn't we buy any aquarium and just put the correct lighting in? Has anyone done this with any success? If it is just a blacklight, wouldn't pretty much any white fish look glowy in there? Aren't you supposed to have regular lighting for them anyway, and only use the glow light for a few hours each day?

Again, sorry for keeping the thread alive, but I did read it all, and didn't find these answers. Anyone with an unruly teen will understand that when your kid actually wants to do something constructive with you, it's a good feeling. And hey, the kid's earned it! Honor roll, plus a job, (one they don't usually hire kids as young as him for, I might add) deserves some rewarding!

Thanks fellow aquariasts! Keep on, Fishkeeping on!

See? Now your sucked back in. You could just....not click on it agin, right?

Sorry, but I'm confused - you say new posters aren't reading, but I did....there was discussion, then you mentioned it as a zombie post. No one else mentioned that we modify fish all the time for aesthetics, so rehashing? Are you referring to other threads? I get ethical questions about them all the time from customers, so I understand there may be 19748794893 threads on the same topic. No need to respond if you don't want to keep the beast going, just wanted to defend myself and educate myself on proper forum etiquette :)

Generally we dont revive age old threads but yes a few of us are sucked in. In my defemse I work 3rd though so any conversation (even about dead revived threads) is entertaining lol

Okay, well I have some real questions about the keeping of glofish. I will spare you guys a new thread and just ask on here.

A little backstory, bare with me....My oldest son, who has had some behavior issues in the past, just made honor roll, and got his 1st job. My boyfriend and I have been trying to interest him in our aquarium hobby because we feel it is a good family activity we can all work on together. He wants to save up for his own aquarium, and he wants glow everything. He is super excited about it, and I really want to help and encourage him.

Now my questions....Do you really need to buy a specific glow aquarium? They are so overpriced! I would like him to be able to get a 30-40 gallon. I was told that it is blue LED lighting that really make the fish glow, and also told that it is a blacklight. Which is it? Or will they both work? Couldn't we buy any aquarium and just put the correct lighting in? Has anyone done this with any success? If it is just a blacklight, wouldn't pretty much any white fish look glowy in there? Aren't you supposed to have regular lighting for them anyway, and only use the glow light for a few hours each day?

Again, sorry for keeping the thread alive, but I did read it all, and didn't find these answers. Anyone with an unruly teen will understand that when your kid actually wants to do something constructive with you, it's a good feeling. And hey, the kid's earned it! Honor roll, plus a job, (one they don't usually hire kids as young as him for, I might add) deserves some rewarding!

Thanks fellow aquariasts! Keep on, Fishkeeping on!
Dang it now we are all sucked in lol
No do not buy a glofish torture kit please. Blood money right there. Get the bigger tank and then huy your own light. Blue leds work great.

Back
Top Bottom