Go big or go home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello!

I've got the itch to start another tank. It will be a couple months before I can fully dive in (not litterally of course) but I'd like to do some research and get a few opinions before committing to a new tank.

I'd like to get a tank of atleast and I mean atleast 60 gal but would prefer one at about 100 gal. I plan on doing some light planting and placing of driftwood and rocks.

I've found a new obsession with the Kribensis Cichlid (any extra info on them would be much appreciated) so I'd like to make the focus around 2 of them but want a school of some other fish in there too.

My main question is this...is bigger really better? With all the filters needed and extra equipment(heavy duty stands, acrylic maybe needed etc..) needed for a larger tank, is it worth it? If I get a 60 gal am I going to be happy with it? (now I know you all can't awnser that so personal opinion would be awesome) please, input would be great.

Well, I'm happy with my 60g but sure, I'd love to have a 100 or 125 or... The biggest problem is room. A 60 is 48" long and takes up plenty of room. A 100 is 72" long. You get the picture. However... you can put more stuff in a 100 and have more/bigger/more-more-more fish. Anyway, I think it all comes down to whether or not you can find the room. Just my 2 cents there.

after having my 150g for a while now, everything else seems small... im planning on getting a 240g this summer, so big tanks are nice... another good thing about them is the parameter stability... things dont spike as quickly and as the old saying goes, dilution is the solution for pollution... Funny enough, i have two 10g tanks that are heavily planted that i get alot of enjoyment out of as well... its really all personal preference, and how big your house is lol

Wow a 200+ gal tank!! That's huge!! Space is surely not an issue
for you. Haha I'm interested in the larger tanks
but have heard the life of glass is shorter with the bigger tanks and acrylic is way better. Have you heard this?

no, ive never heard that. Acrylic is stronger, but scratches easier... They make glass aquariums up to 500g, maybe bigger, but at some point, its better to have acrylic when youre talking about tanks that big

Agree bigger is better, i have had a 90 now for the better part of 6months and already have the itch for bigger tank, i think at some point though you gotta think about the practicality of a big tank, like how big is to big, for me 240g would be plenty of tank and wouldnt think i would need anymore

There's just something special about having a larger tank. I have a 90 gallon, not the biggest around, but when people come over their reactions are priceless. For non-aquarium people, it's a gigantic tank. Seems more so since I have a couple 10 gallons sitting by it. I do enjoy my smaller tanks too but there's so much more you can do with a larger tank.

Interesting to think of a 240 gal tank as practical. Haha I guess I'd like to get a tank and fully enjoy it before wanting a larger one. I think if a 100+ was somehow presented to me for the right price I'd bite :)

its called MTS or Multiple Tank Syndrome... I started with a 55g back in june or july, i got up to 4 55''s, a 30, and a 10... wife started fussing about all the tanks, so i got the 150, and got rid of two of the 55s and the 30... added a 10 along the way. I plan on only having the 240, 150, and a 55 once i get the 240... You will always be wanting a bigger tank, no matter how many small tanks you have. And i agree with blackomen, people see my 150g and theyre like "whoa, is that like 1000 gallons or something? why dont you have a whale in there?" Its just really fun and really expands what you can stock

If you are going to be keeping Kribs as a centerpiece fish then something along the lines of a 20L-29g tank is more practical for you. It's just a waste of space and money if you go much larger. I'd go with something else in a tank that large if I were you.

100g tanks also come in 60" versions.

If you are going to be keeping Kribs as a centerpiece fish then something along the lines of a 20L-29g tank is more practical for you. It's just a waste of space and money if you go much larger. I'd go with something else in a tank that large if I were you.

100g tanks also come in 60" versions.

So would it be better for me to get a larger tank (whatever I finally decide on) to stock whatever with and put kribs in my current 38 gal?

I'm just saying that if you want kribs as a centerpiece fish with a school of some other fish, then a 20L or a 29g tank would be perfect. However, having a larger tank can be nice if you decided that you want something larger in the future like angelfish, discus, larger African cichlids, plecos, etc. A larger tank would give you room to grow so to speak, but if you are only wanting kribs and a school of some other fish then you could save lots of money by going smaller.

You're right, larger tanks give you more options. Go too large (200g+) and you'll have to start thinking about the structure of whatever dwelling you're housing the tank in.

I've got a 300g stored away until my wife and I find a house. When we go house shopping, I make sure to look for a place to put the tank that's either a concrete floor on the ground or over a crawlspace where I can reinforce the floor.

Start big if you can afford it and don't mind doing some extra maintenance. You can always add more tanks. It's a sickness. Enjoy it.

100G is not that big. Glass is more than sufficient. The reason most people use acrylic on large tanks (300g or larger) is the weight of the material, an acrylic aquarium weighs a lot less. There are other pluses and minuses but that is the main one.

I dont think i could ever get away with a 300 gal tank, but ive seen quite a few 125-150 and i think i could swing that. I may go the 55-60 route in an attempt to get my feet wet for larger aquariums.

Pick up a 75g and call it a day. I see them on craigslist a lot for $75-125 depending on if they have a stand. You can do so much more to a tank with an 18" width as opposed to a 12.5" width.

Word of advise.. don't ever downsize because it doesn't stay that way long. I sold my 150g, 125g and 120g tanks last year now I'm picking up a 180g tank this weekend.. I should have just kept what I had lol.

there is a rule of thumb the only real rule i follow in fish keeping.... go as big as you can afford.... this way you know you are always making the right choice. bigger tanks (100+ gallons) i find are less work then smaller tanks (75 and under gallons). the more water you have the more stocking options you have. the more stable it is. it will look more impressive. only time smaller tanks can be better is for breeding some species only qt and grow out.

there is a rule of thumb the only real rule i follow in fish keeping.... go as big as you can afford.... this way you know you are always making the right choice. bigger tanks (100+ gallons) i find are less work then smaller tanks (75 and under gallons). the more water you have the more stocking options you have. the more stable it is. it will look more impressive. only time smaller tanks can be better is for breeding some species only qt and grow out.

Interesting...I've not heard this theory yet. Thanks for that insight.

I agree with a 75 or a 90 as a first "big" tank. The 18" depth front to back makes a huge difference. I have a 55 right now and the 12" depth drives me nuts. A 65 (3"x2"x18") might be OK but it is nice to have the 4' length.

Back
Top Bottom