Going Tanganyikan -Q&A, Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AquaBid.com - Item # fwcichlidst1374865204 - 4 breeder size Juli Regani Zambian Gold - Ends: Fri Jul 26 2013 - 02:00:04 PM CDT

Julidochromis regani "zambia gold", already sexable, just thought I'd post it

NVM, only 2 hrs left

I'm going to end up with a tank full holding while I wait to get the tank ready LOL Thanks for sharing! Really, though - is that possible as I know sometimes they can be hard to find and I don't want to miss any. It's hard letting them go. Not sure if that is a bad idea or not.

Trustemedia, I've loved reading along this thread as your community is going to be very similar to the one I've been planning these past few months while cycling my 75g tank. Can't wait to see pics of your final arrangement!

Thank you! It's been very exciting! I'm so ready to get going. It's going to be so cool. :)

I have an RO system. Should I use tap water or RO water? I read once to use tap due to minerals. How sensitive are the Tangs to water qualities - just curious if they are hardy or delicate?

Julies are pretty common, so I'm sure more will come along, scratch that, positive, you'll be able to find more lol

I would not use RO. RO water has a low pH due to low amount of dissolved particles in the water. If you are to use RO, you would need to seriously buffer the water to get the pH above 8.

It really depends on the species, but my species seem to be pretty tolerable and hardy. While I was in the hospital for a couple weeks (2 back surgeries), I had accidentally unplugged my filter before being admitted. Long story short it sat stagnant for about a week (came home for a day before being readmitted and unplugged it during that time). Anyway, I lost all but 4 fry of my n. multifasciatus, but all 4 of my adults were still alive and all 8 are still alive now 10 months later. This was in a 6.6 gallon fluval edge, so there was no filtration for a week.

Good to know. :) Sorry about your fish loss - and your back.

Yep, didn't think about the pH. Mine is high already out of the tap. All my tanks are high and I keep them there so not to chase it and everyone is just fine. Scratch that silly question.

Forgot to post a pic of my dwarf tanganyikan bullhead cats, they're still young, about half grown, and are EXTREMELY shy, mostly coming out at night or at feeding time, but they're unique and cool to me

Not the best pic, but the best I could get lol

image-1054222049.jpg

I actually think the altolamprologus compressiceps "sumbu dwarf" would work out well in this tank the more I read

Is there anything special that needs to be added to the water of the tank? I keep seeing all these buffers and salt recipes and such online, but I already naturally have hard water. I didn't touch on this subject and didn't know if I need to add something special - buffer, iodine, salt, etc. Hope I'm just good to go, but thought I better check.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend synodontis petricola or luccipinnis for your set up, nice little clean up crew, native to Tanganyika, and are pretty active. You don't have to add them, but I think they add a cool touch to a rift tank

I don't add any buffers, but I do know they sell a Tanganyika specific buffer, let me see if I can find it online

I think you're fine without it, I'm reading it's not necessary, especially with already hard tap water

So, I just read something interesting: that Occellatus is found mixing in the wild with Brevis and says they compete for shells in the same area, too - but also says Brevis is being found where there are minimal shells at all and are finding new breeding homes, hence them looking different with many colors/markings varieties. Has anyone kept Brevis and then I wonder if I could keep them with Occellatus and they would move to the small rock pile to breed. There are some getting some neat colors - looking camo with a small violet streak on the face. I like that. But, that may be bad idea. Hmm, what do you think about that?

I'd avoid it for one reason: the wild doesn't have glass. If they get into a battle, one side can leave. In aquarium, they aren't given that luxury

Alright! I like them, too. Seem to stay small and out of the way. Nice color, too. I found this pic: (pic is Callochromis Pleurospilus, I just noticed, but seems Stappersii Raspberry pictures are the same as Pleurospilus Raspberry Ikola. Maybe class/name was changed? IDK)

img_2581614_0_b0632905e090523e3e7e7e881f7da6d9.jpg

I'll add them to that "other" possibility list I have. That list will depend on price and availability.

Rocks and sand are in and tank has been cycling.

Stock list looks like:

8-12 Cyprichromis Leptosoma (mpimbwe)
A colony of Lamprologus Ocellatus (start of with what I can get them for 3/4/5/6)
1 Pair of Julidoshromis Transcriptus/Dickfeldi Livua/Ornatus Golden/whatever I can find
1-2 Pair of Eretmodus Cyanostictus
5-7 Syndodontis Petricola or Luccipinnis
and
2-3 Lamprologus Ornatipinnis OR
1 Pair Variabilichromis Moorii OR
1M/4F Callochromis Stappersii Raspberry

With the shellies, I'd start out with as big a colony as you can budget and let them fill it in, they aren't exactly friendly to new comers of the colony (from my experiences with n. multifasciatus)

And pictures!!!!!! Necessary! Lol

I know. I don't have a light on there right now, so all I could do was use a lamp and flashlight to get the rocks for thoughts. Here you go:

Hold on. I have to use Flickr. Adding a photo is going round and round and round...

Do you use or need an airstone/bubble bar in your tank? I have two ready to go, but wasn't sure as I haven't seen any in use in any pics and heard it may interrupt schooling fish communication? Or is that BS. Should I hook them up? I always thought oxygen was Good.

9376033260_4836200d7a_b.jpg

9376031758_fef85af7fe_b.jpg

9376030458_61136852b9_b.jpg

9373250519_5dafacf029_b.jpg

9373249225_696ab94e0f_b.jpg

9376026122_07fb0e1f10_b.jpg

9373246173_d2c609f5e4_b.jpg

9376023308_140d71dde0_b.jpg

I don't have shells yet. On the list. I threw a couple around the house in when building rocks just for measure. I took a lot of pics since it's dark and some probably didn't turn out so well.

It looks good so far! I'd add a little more to each side, and just make sure they are REALLY secure, as shellies are for the most part diggers

A black background will make it really pop too

Are callochromis stapersii sandsifters? I had Xed them off of my community plan for some reason but now I can't remember. They're aggressive with somebody I thought. Was it the shellies? Are they the ones that make huge sandy nests?

Back
Top Bottom