Goldfish with a single white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epsilon-7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
I’ve been trying to get the hang of having an aquarium since my friend was looking to deal with his tank getting too crowded. I’ve had Magikarp the common goldfish for a little under a year.
About September or October he’s developed a white spot on his nose that recently now has what looks to be a blood blister. There are no other visible issues.
Magikarp has lived in a 10-12 gal tank with a penguin pro 275/375 filter with activated carbon. At the very least I change the tank water once a week but i find he needs it sooner. When I do a water change I always vacuum the gravel and change about 50% of the water. I put in the aqua safe plus since it’s tap water, top fin pH increase, and once a month tetra cleaning bacteria. As of this post my water is NO3-80, NO2-0, pH-6.5, KH-0, and GH-120.
The only new addition to the tank is a snail. He’s had the same decorations and plants since set up. He’s gotten pretty big, about 6 in. I feed him shrimp and blood worms, none of that boring flake stuff.
I feel that since the medicines haven’t worked that I stress him out with the water changes but I’ve used lifeguard all-in-one, api general cure, and api E.M. Erythromycin. One at a time, without the filter in place. He doesn’t seem lethargic and his appetite is normal.
Any advise on how to clear this up would be greatly appreciated as well as anything that I should do differently.

Attachments

• 53155AB8-35AC-4B1D-8812-9C8240102946.jpg
    53155AB8-35AC-4B1D-8812-9C8240102946.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 14498A84-8EF4-4C82-98E6-51C57D13C082.jpg
    14498A84-8EF4-4C82-98E6-51C57D13C082.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 20
  • 6CF6BC4D-3769-4A4D-A5B4-72DE51584C7F.jpg
    6CF6BC4D-3769-4A4D-A5B4-72DE51584C7F.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 27
Can’t tell from blurry photos, but possibly a physical injury. Could have just run into a wall being that big of a fish in a tiny tank. And the poor water quality would make it difficult to heal.

You need a liquid test kit for ammonia nitrite and nitrate pronto. Test strips are notoriously unreliable and that overstocked of a tank I’d be shocked if ammonia wasn’t a problem as well as nitrate. Your nitrate lever is 80. 5- 10 is good. 20 is high. You are at 4 times high.

It's nice that you helped your friend to lessen the overcrowding issue. Have you thought about a bigger tank and keeping the 10 gallon for a quarantine tank? I'm not sure if 10-12 gallon is big enough for a 6 inch goldfish, (I assume you're referring to the fish and not a 6 inch snail). I've read that white spots and blisters can be bacteria infections, you might increase the water changes to reduce organics and bacteria to see if it clears up, maybe try aquarium salt or an antibiotic.

I was thinking he’s getting too big for the tank. Our roommate just happened to have the one he’s in. Thanks for the advise! I’ll go get some test kits and something for the ammonia/nitrate, probably some of that salt too.
I’ll let you know how he does in a couple days!

Ps how big of a tank should I look for? It’s just the one 6 in fish and a snail.

Last edited:
Seriously, the biggest one you're allowed to have. You will not regret it. Hopefully someone more sensible will chime in though.

Yeah that sounds like what I’m going to do. I read that they can get to about 30cm so he’s still going to be growing. I almost dumped in the salt when my husband shouted for me to stop (cuz of the poor snail) I have a tiny transport container that my friend gave me the fish in so maybe he can hang out there while Karp gets better.
Also got the tank some api ammonia lock and a test kit so that should be on its way to getting better.

Back
Top Bottom