Greetings from Holland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crabman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.I just keep 2 goldfish in a 55litre tank and have a problem with the gravel turning brown.

Are you in Holland Michigan?

I don't know how big 55litres is in gallons, but I believe my 10g is 40 litres. So if this is true 55 would be what, maybe 20g? I think that is too small for your goldfish.

Welcome to AA :)

@logansmomma1228-Thanks for your reply.Im from Holland the Netherlands!That size of tank was recomended by the guy in the pet store.Ive had no problems for nearly 2 years and now the gravel turns brown within a week of a water change.I ve done full tank clean outs,everything.Ive got a carbon filter system and plenty plants and definatly dont overfeed.:confused:

How big are your gold fish? they get very big and are very messy fish. They usually need at least 10 US gal a piece. I am not good at conversions so I apologize if your tank is bigger than I am thinking. but most goldfish need ponds or I would say at least 30 US gal for two. It depends on what kind they are as well though

They re about 2inches,but I thought they only grow to fit their enviroment? If they ve outgrown their tank could I release them into a pond?

and letting them go into a pond isn't a very good choice unless its your pond, because they could invade the local waters.

Really Omg thats terribble! Im gonna release them tomorrow.I thought they were getting fatter,more round shaped.

@Aquarium1-the waterways in Holland are all connected but why is it a problem?There are other fish already living in there!

Well goldfish can be invasive species. I put 7 in my little pond and now there are well over 100. What kind of goldfish are they? Are they fancies or commons or comets?

Yes it is illegal in most places to release fish into the wild like that. you could see if an LFS could take them back. They should be fine for a while, they are still pretty small. You could try and find a bigger tank for them.

Yeah that sounds right,probably better to find someone with a pond willing to take them.

I haven t got any photos,I ll sort a couple out for tomorrow.

ok, well for 2, you should get a tank between 30-40 Gallons or 114-152 liters. Mind showin us some pics? ;)
2 Fotos as promised,although I know already from what you ve told me my tank is too small for 2fish,but any size tank will eventually become too small,thats why Im gonna release them to a pond.

Attachments

• fish 002.jpg
    fish 002.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 53
  • fish 001.jpg
    fish 001.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 56
It's not that it is too small for 2 fish, lol, just 2 goldfish. It all depends on what kind of fish you get. Different fish have different bio loads, need different types of water and room to swim, etc.

That is a gorgeous tank though, and those are two gorgeous fish! If you do find somewhere for them you can start a thread on stocking options, or google "stocking for a (whatever size you have i forgot lol) tank" and you will get tons of options :) That looks like maybe 15 or 20 US gal from the pic, there is quite a bit you can do with it! Are those plants real? If not, they sure look like it

@logansmomma- It works out at about 12ish gallons.The plants are real and dont cost much.What do you think about keeping terrapins in a tank that size?Whatever I get next I want to keep it simple,low maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom