Guppies have unknown infection/disease, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirk808

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My freshwater tank has been setup for about six-months now. It's a 20 gallon tank with some driftwood. I do regular weekly 15% water changes and vacuuming of the gravel. It currently has 1 cherry shrimp, 1 albino longfin bn pleco, 5 glofish, 2 female guppies (1 quarantined) and 1 male guppy.

My problems started when my female breeder (1 year old) was being picked on by her female babies (3 months old), there were 4 of them that kept pecking at her back. Normally a dark gray, her back had then turned to a shade of light gray. At the time while this was happening, I also had a SAE (Siamese Algae Eater) in the tank that would keep trying to "clean" her in the same spot. Anyhow, I separated my breeder into a hospital tank in an effort to get her healthy again, and I have since sold the 4 female babies and the SAE.

My breeder was discolored on her back and I saw a couple of very tiny dots (white?) on her fins and some sort of protrusion sticking up by her mouth. Thinking this could possibly be ich after a study on the Internet, I tried the salt and 86 degree heat technique for 7 days, along with Ich Ease medication and it didn't help. During this time the disease seemed to get worse and it looked like her skin was coming off, or maybe scales were dying off and peeling up on her sides. I could also see a transparant stringy thing hanging on her side. That being said, I decided to change the course of action and treat for columnaris, using Maracyn 2 and bringing the water back to normal parameters. I did the 5 day Maracyn 2 treatment and now she has turned totally white, looks bloated and swims with her tail down and nose stuck upwards. So needless to say, she's not doing well.

Since everyone else in my tank is doing fine, I assumed that this was an isolated incident, so a week ago I went ahead and put in a new pair of guppies to breed. Already after a day, the female (also gray) got the same white discoloration on her back. So I started the Matacyn 2 treatment on the tank. The disease spreads fast, it looks like a single scale turns discolored and then it spreads sporadically on both the sides and back of the fish, possibly as individual scales. The male is also being affected by it. In fact, the male (black guppy) had a tiny white dot on his caudal fin, then after a day it became a hole, and now today that whole part of his fin is gone.

To assist the effort, three days ago I also started doing a Methylene Blue treatment of 1 ml to 1/5 gallon of water, then soak the fish in it for 30 minutes. I don't know if this is helping the cause any, but I'm fighting a losing battle here. I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you,

Kirk

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5

I believe your fish has dropsy. Quick get an anti bacteria medicine. However, do you have any inverts in the tank? Anti bacteria meds are harmful to inverts.

Thanks for the response. Will the Maracyn 2 or Methlyne Blue help with dropsy? That's one of the things I've considered, however she's not pineconing, so I wasn't sure . I've also heard of using amoxicillin?

BTW, I have an albino bn pleco, a cherry shrimp and 5 glofish also in the tank.

I realize my breeder may have developed dropsy, but how about my new breeders? The same original symptoms seem to be infecting them. What do u think it could be? Could it also be dropsy?

Kirk808 said:
Thanks for the response. Will the Maracyn 2 or Methlyne Blue help with dropsy? That's one of the things I've considered, however she's not pineconing, so I wasn't sure . I've also heard of using amoxicillin?

You can try the maracyn2 again but honestly once a fish has dropsied, it's almost always fatal. Dropsy is a symptom of disease & not a disease itself- it's basically systemic organ failure (namely the kidneys) and a fish is no longer able to process fluids properly & they accumulate in the body. You may want to consider euthanasia at this point if she appears to be suffering & in great distress.

Amoxicillin (and other pencillin type antibiotics) are effective in mammals but are poor choice for fish. For the rest of your sick fish, it sounds like your dealing with a serious bacterial infection. If the maracyn2 is not effective, you should consider giving kanamycin sulfate a try in addition to meth blue bathes. Kanamycin can also be combined with furan2 for greater effectiveness. Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

Yes like others have suggested, dropsy doesn't end well. To try and save her you really need to call a fish vet to inject her. That's all I know but dropsy is mainly 97% fatal

Here's some pics I was able to take of my two breeder guppies. I took them to two different pet shops and nobody was able to diagnose the problem. They didn't carry the medicine that you recommended unfortunately.

The only solution that was recommended was to try Maracyn 1 and 2 at the same with Melafix while doing 50% daily water changes before each dose, and adding a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. So I'm on my 3rd day of treatment now. The disease seems to have stopped spreading I think, and they're still eating. So what do you think? Wane that you can see the pictures, do you think What I'm doing will work?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• image-3632033440.jpg
    image-3632033440.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 113
  • image-577510861.jpg
    image-577510861.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-4275095921.jpg
    image-4275095921.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3339327326.jpg
    image-3339327326.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 114
Don't worry my uncle had a fish and it had dropsy three times! And was cured all of the times so it can be done but I would suggest looking at how you cure bactiarial infections because dropsy is a combination of them.

Thanks for your support. It's weird how the disease is only affecting the guppies in my tank and no other fish. The boy (black) in the picture is about 4 months old and the female 5 months.

I did a 75% water change in the main tank over the weekend, and I plan on upping my regular water changes for all my tanks to 20-25%.

My adult female guppy has no more signs or symptoms of the disease, however her body is still pale. Here's a picture of her from yesterday. I'm going to slow up on her treatment starting today using only Maracyn 1 and Melafix. Overall, I think it was the Maracyn 2 that worked, but unfortunately I ran out.

Attachments

• image-2691263460.jpg
    image-2691263460.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 102
Update...
When I ran out of the Maracyn 2, I stopped using it on my old female breeder (Miss Piggy) for a couple of days and she had the disease come back again. So I know now for sure that the Maracyn 2 is the one that's helping. I'm using it in conjunction with Melafix 5% at 2 ml per 5 gallons of water, and I'm doing daily water changes of 50-75%. After a few treatments of it, the disease luckily has disappeared again. My other two guppies are now doing better than ever. I've been treating for 2 1/2 weeks now with the Maracyn 2/Melafix combo and I'm anticipating treatments to last for at least another week. It proved to be the winning combination to fight this strange disease. I hope these posts can help anyone who runs across the same problem I had.

Update...

The disease has been greatly reduced for all three fish. Ms Piggy finally eats like a pig again! She's back to her old friendly and happy self, no longer scared and delusional.

They're coming off of a two day rest from all meds and today I finally got some Kanaplex that I'll be starting them on.

kirk808 said:
update...

The disease has been greatly reduced for all three fish. Ms piggy finally eats like a pig again! She's back to her old friendly and happy self, no longer scared and delusional.

They're coming off of a two day rest from all meds and today i finally got some kanaplex that i'll be starting them on.

great news!

Back
Top Bottom