Guppies pregnancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some 4 males guppies and 8 female guppies in a tank together with no other fish and notice that the males were trying to get them pregnant. Was just wondering if I should now move the males into my main tank as I don't want the females to get stressed if there pregnant. Do u think I should leave them for a few more days or move them.
Thanks

Leave them till you start seeing them getting really fat then seperate

So I should get some babies out this shouldnt I??
A bit of luck is needed when it comes to livebearer pregnancy. Especially the first pregnancy. The females get stressed easily when pregnany and people have had trouble with keeping them alive in a breeder box. Some hate it so much it has been dubbed a "death trap". Works for me, but I do like the method of natural birth. Natural birth is when you let them give birth in the open tank, and let the strongest fry (babies) survive.

So yes, I would say you could, but don't get your hopes up on the first try. It takes time before breeding is successful.

Graemecookie said:
Lol I want guppy babies ;)

Well youll have them soon! I breed guppies and sell them. I have 3 tanks and continuing to expand so good luck and if you have any questions ask me

Well youll have them soon! I breed guppies and sell them. I have 3 tanks and continuing to expand so good luck and if you have any questions ask me
Correction: ask US ;) .

Yep, these guys are a blast, super easy to breed and come in a stunning color variety, some of the show quality ones are $100.00+! Have fun breeding them, but BE WARNED! These guys will NEVER stop breeding unless you separate the females from the males. Most people WANT them to breed, so not to much of a problem.

Thanks guys. Yes I really want to have baby guppies. Save me buying them wont it lol.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but the fry that do survive post-birth in my aquarium tend to get harassed by the females in the tank when they're in the same area. The males just swim right past them with an occasional brief curiosity, but move on.

Back
Top Bottom