Hagen Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,I just want know about that product called Hgen Cycle.Does it really work?Should I add it to the aquarium water directly?Has anyone had tried it before?

I've never heard of it, but to my knowledge the only product anyone has had true success with is BioSpira, and that's still not 100%.

iv used it, it was out before biospira, you add it directly too teh water, i used it acouple of years ago and they have improved it now too make it better.

I posted the same question a couple months ago. Basically, it seems that Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria. The general consensus was not to use it because it's a waste of money. (This after I spent about 6 months using it! :D ) Using BioSpira, or letting the tank cycle naturally and slowly is better.

I'm very surprised Allivymar hasn't stepped in on this topic yet!! According to Alli, "cycle" contains bacteria originally thought to break down nitrogenous waste. Subsequent research has concluded that a new set of bacteria actually perform these functions.

These bacteria are now sold in "Bio Spira." If you're starting out a tank, I'd only ever recommend a true 2-4 week cycle or Bio Spira. If you go with Bio Spira, PM "Bernie." He runs a store in TN and can send it up to you. It's very hard to find elsewhere.

Hope you all are wrong

We just started using cycle in all our tanks, fresh and marine. We've added it to the bio wheels in the tanks with them, and directly in the water in the tanks without. (We're on our second bottle - gotta a few tanks.)

Anyway, one thing we noticed was the tanks where we added it to the bio-wheel had a bacteria bloom the next day. I've still got it in the goldfish tank. We're sure it was the cycle, because that was the only thing common to those tanks. Could the bacteria bloom be further proof that what you are saying is right?

LOL I fell asleep or I'd have popped in sooner madasa ;P

As mentioned previously, Cycle doesn't contain the correct nitrifying bacteria. The folks at Marineland did some research (peer-reviewed and published) that discovered a different form of bacteria cycles a fishtank. Bio-Spira by MArineland is the only product which contains the correct stuff. Cycle does not. I had also tried it initially and discovered not only did it not cycle a tank quickly, it contained high levels of nitrates. I've heard of others who tested it and discovered levels of ammonia.

Mack said:
Hi,I just want know about that product called Hgen Cycle.Does it really work?Should I add it to the aquarium water directly?Has anyone had tried it before?

It's water conditioner with a few extra ingredients, just compare the contents with another bottle of hagen water conditioner. The stuff is crap, I can't believe it's been on the market this long.

Back
Top Bottom