Have you ever lost a fish in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, that would make sense. Didn't think that tetras were that opportunistic.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's the circle of life! Animals eat dead animals, fish will eat dead fish. Of course I've always noticed if I had a fish die before my fish took notice.

Caleb

I lost a clown loach. I could find him for days, but he liked to hide so I wasn't too alarmed. Last Saturday I pulled a big flat(ish) piece of driftwood out of my tank and found him firmly lodged in a hole roughly the size of a clown loach. After some wiggling we got him freed. I was shocked he was still alive. He's perfectly happy and healthy.

I lost a clown loach. I could find him for days, but he liked to hide so I wasn't too alarmed. Last Saturday I pulled a big flat(ish) piece of driftwood out of my tank and found him firmly lodged in a hole roughly the size of a clown loach. After some wiggling we got him freed. I was shocked he was still alive. He's perfectly happy and healthy.

Wow! I know there's a tiny hole on one of my decoration that a fish could get stuck in, maybe I should start checking it more often.

Wow! I know there's a tiny hole on one of my decoration that a fish could get stuck in, maybe I should start checking it more often.

Silicone is good for plugging those tiny holes. I lost a rainbow shark to getting trapped in decor once.

Caleb

Silicone is good for plugging those tiny holes. I lost a rainbow shark to getting trapped in decor once.

Caleb

I really should plug it. It's just about the right size for my neon tetras to swim in comfortably and never find their way out again, or for my frog to get stuck.

Fish eat fish!
Dogs and cats eat fish if they hit the floor!
With the exception of fish who are known to hide(clown loaches...),
A healthy fish will NOT get stuck in a deco or be sucked into a filter.
When either of these things happen it is a sign of some other stressor in the tank IMO.

Well, my Africans all hate each other, I've lost 2, but when cleaning the tank, I eventually found the 2 skeletons under ornaments, err, their spines really lol. It looked like a Maffia hit and dispose of the body under a structure lol.

Only other example was thought I lost my Clown Loach in another tank. Nope, the little bugger somehow hides in the hollow branch of this tree decoration I have. Have no clue how he fit's in there lol, but it's his hidy hole.

+1 to plecos, I've taken driftwood out for a house move, panicked when I didn't find him in the tank, finally found him still hanging on the driftwood after an hour.

I have 4 khulis, 2 plecos, a bunch of guppies and now a keyhole cichlid, at any given moment most of my fish are missing lol, least until the food comes out.

Fish eat fish!
When either of these things happen it is a sign of some other stressor in the tank IMO.

When I had my rainbow shark he was the king of the tank. He had his castle and shared it with a pleco. He disappeared one day and I found him lodged inside.

Caleb

I lose my bichir quite often. Apparently the big flat piece of slate my moss is spread across has a little cave dug into the sand on the backside and he chills in it.

Jesse

Fish eat fish!

And fish HIDE. That's mostly what I'm talking about in this thread haha.

I'm currently missing my redtailed shark. I have a big rock decoration with some hollow spots he used to hide in. I haven't seen him for about 3 weeks now. I took out the rock and looked all inside but hes not there. I checked the tank and don't see anywhere he could have jumped out from. But he's just gone. he was full grown and seemed very healthy last time I saw him. I miss him, he was very beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom