HELP! ASAP! Acidic Water. Cory dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honest opinion... No.
The 2.5 might be ok for the Betta but it too really needs a ten gallon, five at the smallest. You are probably going to need to do daily PWCs until you have a bigger tank. If you can somehow get some more media in the filter it will help as there will be more space for your BB to colonize, even a sponge over the intake will help. Of course, that would depend on what kind of filter you have.

i have a sponge over the intake to help. I have one of this mini bow aquarium desktop 2.5 ... I am not able to add any more filter material unfortunately. hopefully I can find a cheap tank set up eventually that is bigger for my betta. where I am living at college, I am not allowed to have anything larger than a 10 gallon aquarium.

PageMaxwell said:
i have a sponge over the intake to help. I have one of this mini bow aquarium desktop 2.5 ... I am not able to add any more filter material unfortunately. hopefully I can find a cheap tank set up eventually that is bigger for my betta. where I am living at college, I am not allowed to have anything larger than a 10 gallon aquarium.

Lucky, when I was in the dorms we could have one gallon only, then my first apartment limited me to 20 gallon. In the dorm I cheated and got a 1.5. The betta will be ok in the 2.5 alone as long as you are very rigorous with your water change. I have a betta in that old 1.5 gallon as a temporary home but I change his water just about every day, with small changes on days I don't change it all. A betta and a frog will not work in the 2.5 though. There would be too much toxin buildup if you didn't change the water out every day or so completely, and in such a small area the betta will be very likely to bully the frog. Some people have had good luck with them in 5 or 10 gallons, but the less space the betta has, the bigger the chance he will get aggressive towards anything else in your tanks.

I just wanted to say that I really want to make the best environment for my fish and really don't want to make any more mistakes. I've always liked fish but we had a tank when I was little and my parents got rid of it while I was away at camp and I haven't had fish in such a long time. I really want to take the good and right care of the fish. I hope to have a summer job and then I'll have some money to help buy the correct equipment. And larger tanks.

AquariumPage said:
Please delete this thread/posts ... Thanks

Why? Nobody's angry with you! We all started out in fish keeping making mistakes. You think you first tanks overstocked, you should have seen mine! Hahaha. It's great your here to learn (and share!) about fishkeeping and I have no doubt that you are going to provide a good home for your fish when you can.

Yeah im sure not too many people here can honestly tell you that they never messed up before and I was way overstocked many times before I figured it out.

Okay ... Well everyone is looking okay today ... In case it was recycling or something, I added the bacteria and am going to follow the bottles instructions for "the immediate addition of fish" maybe something happened with that. Hopefully that helps get it jump started again.
The water is still very acidic.

I hope to be able to get a better testing kit besides my strips. But that's when I run out of the strips and have more money. (college students don't have much money, haha)

By the way, my betta's name is George!

AquariumPage said:
Okay ... Well everyone is looking okay today ... In case it was recycling or something, I added the bacteria and am going to follow the bottles instructions for "the immediate addition of fish" maybe something happened with that. Hopefully that helps get it jump started again.
The water is still very acidic.

I hope to be able to get a better testing kit besides my strips. But that's when I run out of the strips and have more money. (college students don't have much money, haha)

By the way, my betta's name is George!

That's good :)
Bottled bacteria usually does nothing I'm afraid. They either have dead bacteria or the wrong type.
You pH has crashed because of the cycle. Lots of large water changes to bring it back up to the same as tap waters pH. If it keeps crashing I'd suggest adding some crushed coral to your filter. Just add a little bit until the pH stays stable.

Do we get any pictures of George?

This is George being silly. He does this all the time but as soon as he sees me he swims around looking at me. He's got some real character. Really funny guy.

Attachments

• image-3545478868.jpg
    image-3545478868.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 76
Just took these. Apparently he flares up at my phone when I'm trying to take pictures with it.

The water spots are on the outside back of the aquarium. Didn't realize until I used my flash haha.

Attachments

• image-26938369.jpg
    image-26938369.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-129627802.jpg
    image-129627802.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3602390886.jpg
    image-3602390886.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
My albino Cory loves to be in the cave.

Attachments

• image-2136383841.jpg
    image-2136383841.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 59
Wow thats a great looking betta! My son has one at his moms house but they keep it in a vase :( but He is only 9 and I taught him how to change the water , he changes it every other day lol. I offered to buy a 5 gal set up for it but she did not let me, she likes the vase. Well atleat the water is changed very often and the fish looks healthy.

darkmatter_3500 said:
Wow thats a great looking betta! My son has one at his moms house but they keep it in a vase :( but He is only 9 and I taught him how to change the water , he changes it every other day lol. I offered to buy a 5 gal set up for it but she did not let me, she likes the vase. Well atleat the water is changed very often and the fish looks healthy.

Good thing he changes the water often!

He's a lovely looking guy! Welcome to the forum And you will lean loads without anyone judging you - everyone here has made mistakes :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom