Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the fish seems to be very fine. If it is coming from ferts, it will not get any higher than what we had today. As amonia comes from the fish, BB will kick in. So it is all from where we are to better water quality I guess...

That's right, you're in a fish in cycle now! ;) He looks good by the way. Congrats!

About to complete 24 hours since last WC (50%) and fish introduction. Should I test the water today as well, or give it some time?

About to complete 24 hours since last WC (50%) and fish introduction. Should I test the water today as well, or give it some time?

I would test it to see where it's at. It's a good idea to know how much ammonia and nitrites he makes in 24 hours. Then you'll know if you need to do a 50% pwc or a larger pwc. You should aim to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm and definitely no higher than .50ppm.

He is a beautiful betta! And you have made that tank look magnificent!

I would test it to see where it's at. It's a good idea to know how much ammonia and nitrites he makes in 24 hours. Then you'll know if you need to do a 50% pwc or a larger pwc. You should aim to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm and definitely no higher than .50ppm.

He is a beautiful betta! And you have made that tank look magnificent!

Been interesting following this thread as it has been set up and now you have a fab tank and a fab Betta :)

RC I have a request.. you've been posting pictures from the front, straight on view. Can I see some from various angles? I'd like to see the depth you've created in the scape. For example, here's from my 6g when I had the betta in it..

ForumRunner_20130225_140632.jpg

RC I have a request.. you've been posting pictures from the front, straight on view. Can I see some from various angles? I'd like to see the depth you've created in the scape. For example, here's from my 6g when I had the betta in it..

Here we go!

Attachments

• image-492544746.jpg
    image-492544746.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 68
  • image-467550958.jpg
    image-467550958.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-886173438.jpg
    image-886173438.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 74
And here are the water testings. The image above is from yesterday, the image below from aprox. 30 hours after.

The light is not the same, but it looks like there is a decrease on Nitrites and increase in Nitrates. There is also some level of ammonia production. Hopefully nature will take its course.

On a side note, should I intervene with a PH stabilizer to bring it closer to 7.0?

Attachments

• image-1222234094.jpg
    image-1222234094.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 75
You should probably do another 50% water change.

Don't use any chemicals to mess with the ph. Stable ph is better than one that fluctuates. He'll be just fine with your ph.

Because of inexperience, WC still is a big deal for me, and it takes about 40 minutes (bring the house in, conndition, raise the bucket, etc...)

I'll do the water change after work 6:00pm, since doing this things alone is better than with an audience (wife).

Thank you.

PS: will the plants be OK without excel?

He's a beauty & it is very fun to see them exploring their luxury home for the 1st time! Definitely get those nitrites down. I'd do a 70-80% water change as I had to do with my most recent 10g tank it had nitrites like that yesterday, today they were much less & so I did another 60-70% water change. Don't be afraid to do multiple water changes in a day if need be. I didn't do live plants in this tank so I know my nitrites are not from ferts & I've never had nitrites from ferts in my other tanks. If you added a bacteria booster its possible that caused it, I added Stabilty a week ago when I set up my tank so I'm pretty sure that's what's caused my nitrites to spike so quickly. Keep testing daily & doing your water changes & be prepared for it to take weeks but hope it doesn't! :)

Very nice pics! Is that the custom glass piece you had cut for the lid?

Thank you Brian. Yes, I got two of those. I am considering having 2 or 3 tanks next to each other, forming one single aquascape. Something like the attached image.

Attachments

• image-3362084899.jpg
    image-3362084899.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 60
Water changes are very complicated to me, and here are my challenges:

The water needs to be 78F, and just thermal regulation is a pain in the ***. I never get it right;

The conditioner leaves the water with a really alc. pH, almost 8.5. Here goes another 1/2 hour to bring it more neutral;

The bucket is heavy, and I dont have a place to hold it higher than the tank. If a camera records how I do it, I might win one of those America's Funniest Videos awards;

Lastly, the fish is in. 80% water change includes having him out of the tank, and that's something that I don't have experience. Please remmember, this is my first aquarium/fish EVER.

To add more fun to the equation, now I have Algae growing. :(

Attachments

• image-2198192264.jpg
    image-2198192264.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3048512914.jpg
    image-3048512914.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 60
The water doesn't have to be exact. You can just feel it with your fingers and see if it feels the same.
And when I had my betta in a smaller tank we would take him out and put him in a cup full of tank water while doing 100% water changes. Just make sure you don't use a container that's been run through the wash, or had soap in it!

Maybe you could try siphoning the new water into the tank, reverse of taking it out, or look for a stool somewhere. I'd suggest a python water changer but it would be overkill for a tank that size

I am at work, can't research of a python water changer is. But if it is not expensive, I am soon to be the owner of 2 more tanks...

Water changes are very complicated to me, and here are my challenges:

The water needs to be 78F, and just thermal regulation is a pain in the ***. I never get it right;

The conditioner leaves the water with a really alc. pH, almost 8.5. Here goes another 1/2 hour to bring it more neutral;

The bucket is heavy, and I dont have a place to hold it higher than the tank. If a camera records how I do it, I might win one of those America's Funniest Videos awards;

Lastly, the fish is in. 80% water change includes having him out of the tank, and that's something that I don't have experience. Please remmember, this is my first aquarium/fish EVER.

Just do back to back 50% water changes. That would make nitrites come down like this example:
nitrites are at 2ppm
1 50%water change would bring them to 1ppm.
Now do another 50% water change and that brings them down to .50ppm. If you want them even lower do a 3rd 50% water change and that will put them at .25ppm.

This way you do not have to scoop mr betta out of his happy home. :)

As far as refilling the tank- what about using 1gallon jugs? I went to the grocery store and bought 15 of them so that I can pour the water into my 55 gallon tank. Otherwise it is just too heavy and to high to lift a bucket. Plus, by using a jug it's easier to pour the water slowly so you don't disturb your beautiful aquascaping.

And the water doesn't have to be exactly 78 degrees. Just make sure it's close. I think most people use the finger test method. Finger in the tank water- then finger in the refill water. If it feels close it's fine.

Also, what are you doing to the water to make it more normal? My water is 8.3pH and my betta adjusted to it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom