Help me stock my 50 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking I'd get 20 neon tetras since they school and they're beautiful.
Does anyone know a website where I can see what other levels fish swim in... I read angel fish swim a tthe top of the tank, Gobies at the bottom but I have no clue how accurate that is.

I'd like to have 3 schools in my tank if possible.

Option 2 is african ciclids, I am not sure how many I can fit in a 50 though. 12?
If the ones I buy max out at 4 inches that should work no?
Krib breed and that's something I'd love to see, a breeding pair defending their offspring from other fish.

If I get into this I will buy a second tank of equal size and do the other option. Pros and cons would be cool.
Africans seem to have more personnality no? And they are really really active.

not all angelfish just swim at the top of the tank

check out www.aquariacentral.com and go to the profiles, find the fish you want and it will say what part of the tank they will swim at

no, in my opinion guppies really dont look good in a BIG tank like a 50 gallon. how about some loaches, a pleco, some Kissing Gouramis(kissing gouramis get 12")

how about these options:

rainbowfish: blue popondetta, pseudmugil gertrudae, threadfin and celebes rainbows

or you could do a colony of queen arabesque plecos with rainbows

or even 12 corydoras species with various tetras for the top/mid range fish.

how about 15 pseudotropeus demasoni with some armored bottom dwellers.

or even go brackish and get scats, mono sebaes etc.

Many many options out there for ya

Angels will eat the neons.

How about a school of: rainbowfish, neon tetras, bigger tetras (like congo, serpae), glowlight tetras and corydoras catfish. And then a pleco on the side

id wanna go with some emperor tetras instead of the congo. personally i dont like them that much. they dont look very cute when they get big. but thats just me

but the rest sounds about right

get like 8 different species and get like 10 of them.

If you want a nice community set-up, I am very happy with the fish in my 55g. Check my sig.

I love angel fish, and honestly, ive never seen an angel eat a neon, i don't know where that theory came about. My mother-in-law has two angels and 6 neons in a 30 gallon for over a year. I have 6 angels and they swim all over the tank, they go to the top and beg for food, they go to the bottom and pick at the rocks and the leaves on my plants. Beautiful and fun fish.

I like Gouramis too, they tend to be all over as well, mine graze the bottom and go up to the top for air.

Loaches are always fun, cory catfish school and stay at the bottom, but they also like to play in bubbles.

well tony.. lol ya got the # of the devil right there :? just need a 66 gallon tank

FishLuva15 said:
not all angelfish just swim at the top of the tank

check out www.aquariacentral.com and go to the profiles, find the fish you want and it will say what part of the tank they will swim at

thanks brutha... that's so much better than me having to ask a million questions about what fish swims where. I'll check that out tonight.

No Ciclid fans in the house?
How many africans could I stick in a 50 - 55?

How many africans could I stick in a 50 - 55?

That depends on they type.

If it is a general african cichlid like say a frontosa, MAYBE 3. However if it is a dwarf cichlid like a demasoni, you could fit 15 (this number is needed to balance out the agression)

krap101 said:
well tony.. lol ya got the # of the devil right there :? just need a 66 gallon tank

6 is just a good size for a school. Anyway, its all messed up now if you check my sig.

Rinaldo... you might look into the salinity of your tapwater there in Ft. Lauderdale, on top of PH and water hardness.. Im not sure wich city down there is ROing ocean water but Im assuming there could be salt in your tap water..

If you are thinking about cichlids, check out cichlidforum.com. They have a section on different "cookie cutter" set-ups based on tank size.

dnaelting said:
If you are thinking about cichlids, check out cichlidforum.com. They have a section on different "cookie cutter" set-ups based on tank size.

Its in there library section by the way.. I had to ask when I was told this..

Back
Top Bottom