Help...what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everyone was telling me that my tank was overcrowded, and I realize it was. I guess it still is. The tank is 29 gallons

4 lemon tetras
3 neon tetras
three mollies
two platys
3 black longfin tetras
1 pleco
1 Chinese algae eater

I took back a few fish today: an opaline gourami and three red tetras. I tried very hard to catch the Chinese algae eater for about thirty minutes with no success. I managed to uproot my one plant, tear apart most of my java moss, and mash all my tank decorations into one single blob with my plants in the middle of the tank. I know I have to get rid of the algae eaters but they are small now, can I leave them alone for a little while longer? I had to go out today and when I got home the tank looks like a mine went off and when I messed up the gravel tons of fish waste came floating up. My remaining fish seem kind of shell shocked- so am I. Also, someone just told me I have to replace filter elements. I havent replaced them since I got the tank- four and a half months ago. I dont' know how, and I've lost the papers that came with the filter. When I go to the store, I dont' even know what to look for. I am so stupid.

1. Could I put the neons in my five 1/2 gallon tank with my betta? And if so, could I add a few so there is more of a school?
2. When should I put in more lemon and black tetras to make better schools? Can I? Wont' the tank just be overcrowded again if I do?

Thanks.

4 lemon tetras
3 neon tetras
three mollies
two platys
3 black longfin tetras
1 pleco
1 Chinese algae eater

The problem is that the cae will get to big for that tank...sounds like you know that already.If the pleco is common (not one you know will stay small) it will too....they get very large.

Your on the right track.As long as you realize the problem and rectify it as the fish grow you will fine imo.Glad to hear you are willing to take em back.

As far as your filter issue,don't feel stupid,we all learn as we go.
Get all the info you can off of it.It should have a name and size right on top of it.
Type that info into google and you should find plenty of sites that sell both it and the cartridge it uses.Write down the cartidge size and off to the store you go.While you are there you might consider a bigger net to help with the cae.

goto bigals.com or drsfostersmith.com or another supply site.
Look at all the filter(probably under power filters if its hob), find one like yours then compare the sizes of the one like yours. Maybe that way you can find out the make/model to take to the lfs to get the filter(s) or whatever is needed for that filter.

I wouldn't put neons in with a betta in the 5 gallon tank. I have seen neons gang up on and nip a betta. Some members may have had success with this combination but the tank was much larger than 5 gallons. Aggressions between fish are more pronounced in a small tank.

Thanks so much guys. I don't know what I'd do without you.

Back
Top Bottom