HELP!!! White spot!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm stressing out!!!

I have a 63g tank and looks like 3 of my fish have ich or white spots on there fins

What can I do to get rid if it??????

I head cranking up the temp slowly to 86 can help???

Also once they have the white spot how long do they have to live and can they be cured???

Any advice would be so helpful as I'm freaking out!!

Heh don't worry. Ich isn't nearly as bad as people think. Slowly cranking the heat up to 86 degrees and keeping it there for a week after the last sign of ich goes away is a tried and true method of curing it.

Be careful about using any of those ich treatments, they can stain your tank and anything in it, and im not convinced they actually work. Raising the temp usually does the trick, but some fish are more tolerant to the high heat than others. It can last a few weeks, and sometimes get worse before it gets better, but hearty fish usually pull through.

I think neons and cardinals do seem more prone to ich from what I've experienced/read.
I do think its easy to blame pet shops after an outbrake of ich, but the truth is that most fish we buy have been exposed to ich at one point, and there's very little pet shops can do about that.
Ich is able to take over when the fishes immune system is weakened, this is usually due to stress or bad water quality. Keeping your paramaters perfect is of utmost importance, especially when your fishes immune systems are already weakened.
Raising the heat, adding salt (if you have scaleless fish, half the dose) and daily vacuuming of the substrate to remove as many of the ich cycts as possible is in my opinion a much safer and more reliable route than adding meds.

Personally I now QT everything in a salt bath for scales fishs for two weeks, I had too much problems with new fishs in my display tank...

Back
Top Bottom