Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribensis12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was offerd some plants for free today by my Biology teacher ( he teachers freshman Bio , but i stopped by to say hi after school). Well, i took them. I have no idea what they are, and how to take care of them. I have had plants before, but they ALWAYS die. Theese ones were in a 2.5 gallon tank, no fish, with a flourescent bulb, and no fertilizers, and they have been flourshing and multiplying. So, cant be that hard to take care of them, right? Here are some pic's, identification would be nice, and tip's on care would be WONDERFUL!
img_939552_0_efcdf24c840982e9d8451391ccbe978a.jpg

( Theese are floating around in my 30g for now)
img_939552_1_2b07d5f3062352991b8efc4034f47077.jpg

( Planted theese in my 30g fry tank)
img_939552_2_67abe1bd922f75f195c204fbb87926b9.jpg

( Some weird moss, just tied it to some wood!)

The floating plants are probably Anacharis-- low-light plants.

Your prior plant misfortune probably had something to do with the wrong lighting for the plant or a plant that wasn't a true aquatic labeled as an aquatic. Happens frequently at Petsmart, Petco, etc.

#1=Anarchis
#2= Micro Sword or Dwarf Sag
#3= Java Moss

all should do ok at lower light levels, say ~1 wpg for #2

and not need much for ferts

to Blueros... yea petco/petsmart sells alot of plants that are not aquatic, i try to warm people, but it is atleast in part the responsibility of the consumer to research before purchasing imo

1 is anacharis (egeria densa I believe and not elodea densa)
2 looks like dwarf sag to me and not any chain sword
3 not a clear pic but could be a number of mosses. Most likely it's Java moss since it's not bright green and is growing in a clump rather than fanning out like some other mosses do.

Avoid using Flourish Excel in the tank since it will melt the anacharis.

the first is anacharis as the others have said...I defy you to kill it. lol. The second I'm not sure, it looks nothing like the dwarf sag I have, mine has a lot broader leaves. The third we'd need a batter picture to tell for sure. Honestly to me it looks like a big clump of green beard algae. lol

Back
Top Bottom