HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mahoney

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a new 20 gallon tank. I had a ten gallon one full of goldfish and I took good care of it and the water was clean and the fish were healthy so I decided I would sell my tank with fish and all to me brother so I could get a bigger tank and put more fish in it. So I went a little crazy and bought 14 fish and put them all in there and didn't cycle out my tank or anything I was supposed to do. (I was to excited and just hoped into it) now all I have left is two giant danio, one betta, one dinosaur bichir, one kisser fish, one knife fish and one algea eater (idk the type of algea eater)

So is there anything I can do to keep the fish I have left from dieing? I did a 75% water change hoping that would help but came home today and I had one more dead.

Some people have told me I don't have enough danio fish and a 20 gallon tank isn't big enough and my tank isn't big enough for my knife fish either but they all seem to be doing fine and getting along.

You're tank is wayyyy too small for a knife or a kissing gourami. They're fine now but they will keep growing. Id take them back.

And buy a test kit and just do lottss of water changes to keep the ammonia low

And I think its too small for a dinosaur bichir. And of ur algae eater is a common pleco it can grow to 2 feet.

Let this be a lesson. Its best to be patient and do research and make informed purchases

I kind of blew all my money on the fish tank and the fish so I can't buy a test kit or anything right now. But I figured the people at pet smart would have told me that I shouldn't buy these certain fish. She only warned me bout one type of fish and I didn't get them. My first tank I didn't have any problems with the water or anything bit with this tank I am. How many days do you think I should do a water change and what percent?

50% every day or every other day. How many fish are in it now?
And seriously consider getting rid of the bigger fish

There is 7 in there now but I am going to get rid of the bigger ones. You said the knife and kisser right?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
The danios aren't suitable for that tank either. Honestly, I think you should return all of the fish and start a fish-less cycle.

What all do I have to do for a fish-less cycle?

Check out this link:

Fishless Cycle / Nitrogen Cycle

Or just Google "fishless cycle"

There are multiple different options for cycling. It just depends on what you want to do. Also, when you return the fish, I would pick up a test kit. It will be crucial. Most LFS will use test strips which are horribly inaccurate and it is a bother anyway to drive out everyday for them to test your water. Also, it roughly takes a month for a cycle (give or take) and that gives you lots of time for research and educating yourself on this hobby.

Petsmart has a 14 day return policy. You can return all the fish and buy the necessary items for the fishless cycle.

this is what i posted in the other thread you started that is the same exact thread

ill explain what cycling the tank is. This will give you an idea. sounds a lot harder then it really is.

when you have fish they give off ammonia. Ammonia is very poisonous to fish. There are bacteria in the tank(mainly in your filter and substrate). these bacteria break down the ammonia and turn it into nitrite. nitrite is also poisonous so even more bacteria breaks that down into nitrAte. nitrate is not very harmful in small doses but that is why you do water changes. you take out some of the water(usually 20% a week, so in your case 2 gallons) and put fresh water in.
The problem with new tanks is that there isnt any bacteria. you need time for that bacteria to multiply. the fastest way to jump start a cycle is if you know someone that has a cycled tank, you can ask them for their filter media or gravel from their tank. now that you have bacteria in your tank you need to keep it alive. i personally like to do a fish in cycle. i find some hardy fish or cheap fish like zebra danios, neons, tiger barbs. the fish will give off ammonia and feed the bacteria and the bacteria will multiply.
in order to tell where you are at in the cycle you will need a test kit. once your ammonia and nitrites are very very very low or non existent and you have nitrates you cycle is most likely done.

if anyone sees any mistakes let me know.

P.S.
When i say i like to do a fish in cycle this only really happens if i do not have any tanks up and running which has only happened twice. otherwise i just take filter media and gravel from my cycled tanks and the water wait a day or two and throw some inexpensive fish in there and do 10% daily water changes from the middle to the surface of the tank for about a week. i rarely lose a fish like this maybe 1 in 20 fish but that doesnt really seem too bad. this is just how i set up a new tank and i feel that it works for me.

I was going to return my kisser and knife and dinosaur bichir but the danios aren't that big but people say they will be. So if anything I am just going to keep my Algae eater and betta. What I'm hoping is that if I just run the filters and stuff for around a week or so and then my tank will be good for fish to live in

Mahoney said:
I'm hoping is that if I just run the filters and stuff for around a week or so and then my tank will be good for fish to live in

It is much, much more complicated than that.

Please read these links-

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

You can choose whichever route you'd like...but please try to understand what cycling a tank truly is...and make an informed decision. Simply letting the filters run for a week only circulates the water...it does not cycle it. If you choose to keep any fish (hopefully remotely compatible ones)...buy a test kit, a bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner, and do water changes as large and as often as needed to keep your ammonia and nitrIte as low as possible...preferably at or below .25. If you don't do those things...the fish you have will suffer and most likely die.

you should return at least enough fish to have the money to buy some sort of test kit. buying fish but not buy a test kit is like getting a cat but not buying litter. it's all part of taking care of your animals, and should be part of your budget.

I had a ten gallon tank full of goldfish before I got the 20 gallon and I never did a cycle or anything I just waited before putting in fish and that tank is fine and I haven't had any problems with it at all and I never bought a test kit. That's why I haven't got one or even thought to get one cause I didn't have any problems with my other tank

Mahoney said:
I had a ten gallon tank full of goldfish before I got the 20 gallon and I never did a cycle or anything I just waited before putting in fish and that tank is fine and I haven't had any problems with it at all and I never bought a test kit. That's why I haven't got one or even thought to get one cause I didn't have any problems with my other tank

Every tank will and does cycle. That means there are periods of extremely high toxins in the water that make the fish suffer unless you are doing constant water changes to keep them safe. Some fish are more durable than others and don't show signs of the damage that is being done...goldfish are one of the tougher ones which may survive (but that doesn't mean they're not hurt by it).

When you return your incompatible fish, try to view this as a fresh start. There is no reason you can't find information online from sites like this which will help you learn what is compatible, and what you have to do to provide a safe and happy home for your fish. Since these are living animals in your care...it's your responsibility to do your own research, learn what are the right fish for your tank, and what it takes to successfully keep them. We can't pick fish simply because we like the way they look.

Do your research, choose fish accordingly and learn what it takes for their home to be safe (truly cycled). In the mean time before you get back to the pet store, I advise doing at least a 50% water change every single day to keep the fish you have now alive.

With my goldfish I did a 20% water change every two weeks sometimes sooner I did a 50% water change today and plan on doing it till I can take the fish back to pet smart then I was going to go to another pet store that I found and was hoping they would be more helpful instead of just selling me whatever fish I want cause I don't know what fish I want till I see them so I don't know what ones to research

Back
Top Bottom