Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!

I'm new to the site, and wanted to say 'hi'...

I also have a problem with my tank. It's a fresh water 90L tank, i've had it for just over one month, the water has been purified and cycled and i have done 2 x 25% water changes.

I have a case of white spot and the treatment says to remove the carbon filter media to make sure the meds aren't filtered out...

I have kept in the 'tablet' part of the filter to maintain the good bacteria and added some more cycle, however, the water is not not as clear as it was (understandably as i have removed part of the filter), i am concerned that the removal of the carbon filter for a week harm my fish, is this normal for white spot treatment and will it not do more harm than good?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Henry

Hi all!

I'm new to the site, and wanted to say 'hi'...

I also have a problem with my tank. It's a fresh water 90L tank, i've had it for just over one month, the water has been purified and cycled and i have done 2 x 25% water changes.

I have a case of white spot and the treatment says to remove the carbon filter media to make sure the meds aren't filtered out...

I have kept in the 'tablet' part of the filter to maintain the good bacteria and added some more cycle, however, the water is not not as clear as it was (understandably as i have removed part of the filter), i am concerned that the removal of the carbon filter for a week harm my fish, is this normal for white spot treatment and will it not do more harm than good?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Henry

firstly welcome to AA

removal of carbon shouldnt do harm to ur fish! not everyone uses carbon!

Usually cleaning at regular intervals. Filters without carbon do filter things out of the water but carbon filters out the finer particals. Your fish should be fine fella.

Hi Henry, welcome to AA. your filter should operate perfectly well without the carbon, you would only use carbon to remove medications and other chemicals after treatments, most people remove it from their filters and use it as and when required, your water should clear in time.

Pete

welcometoaa.gif

This avo the tank looks much clearer and the White spot has reduced also!! Panic over!!

Thanks again all!

Henry

just an added note, you might want to think about having a quarantine tank around somewhere to avoid worrying about meds being filtered out by carbon. Always good to have around to keep newly acquired fish in before introducing them to your established tank. Welcome to AA btw.

any tank will do, you can keep it as a backup and just run the filter on your established tank. When you find the need to treat sick fish, or bring in new fish that you want to keep seperated to make sure they arent ill, you would just pull out the qt tank, and put the filter back on it and have a mostly cycled tank ready to go. Once you no longer need the qt tank, wash it out with warm water if there has been signs of sickness, wash out the filter again with hot water, then re attach it to your regular tank to get it ready for the next use.

If I have a qt tank, would putting my main filter on in for a week not screw up my main tank? I.e. Main tank filterless - ?

You would want a second filter for a QT tank and never use the same filter on both tanks. The reason is because you would put meds in the QT tank that should never be in the display (such as copper-you never want to put any meds with copper into your DT).

If I have a qt tank, would putting my main filter on in for a week not screw up my main tank? I.e. Main tank filterless - ?

The second filter that comes with your qt setup would be moved back and forth from the main tank when not in use, to the qt when you need it. Your regular filter on your main tank would always stay on the main tank. Just remember that whenever treating for sickness, always change the media in the filter before re attaching to the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom