Hi There :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just signed up on your great lookin forum, although ive been keeping fish for a long time, there is always more to learn, and new people to meet. I currently capture and keep North American Native Fishes, and will soon be posting Pics, and info ive learned about these species. Hope to also be able to help any newer hobbyist that have questions about this addictive hobby called Keeping Fish.

Welcome to AA! I, for one, would love to learn more about natives.

North American Natives

The North American Natives are probably the most overlooked species of fish that can be kept in an aquarium, in the universe. These fish have long been treasured by the European fishkeeping community, and organizations such as NANFA do their best to expand their popularity, as well as promote the conservation of all native habitats.

There are an almost endless number of species available, but the most commonly kept are members of the Sunfish family, The smaller catfish, and the Basses, Perch, and even some Monsters such as Gar, Bowfin, and Paddlefish. The latter mentioned also take monster tanks to keep to even close to maturity.

The Darter family are also a much sought after species as they have tons of species as well, and are a very interesting little fish to keep, reminds me of hummingbirds, since most have no swim bladder, and just hop around here to there and perch on rocks driftwood whatever.

Here are a few pics of what ive kept, or currently keep, lots of species have members that would fit in about anyones tanks, They can be gotten commercially, but the most fun is catching your own, and they are free!!!

img_1152432_0_121b2c5253bf3e2bd4877da08ccc1a06.jpg
Black banded sunfish

img_1152432_1_cacf029c6b84ef42fc8a07ab99be8053.jpg
Rainbow Darter

img_1152432_2_0b13a54513f74d980ce583a1040245f3.jpg
Orange Spotted Sunfish

Rainbow Darters

The rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum) is a native North American fish that can be found in small fast moving streams and small to medium-sized rivers. It grows to 2 inches (51 mm) to 3 inches (76 mm) in length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they need a long tank? sep there name is rainbow DARTER. Or is that just the name. Do you think I could fit to in a 10 gallon planted tank with 4 apple snails? Do you know where i could get them?

Back
Top Bottom