Hitchhiker ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, you could also dose the bucket its in with ammonia. they might be willing to crawl out then....lol

K Thanks, I think I'll break it and put back in bucket. i think i should dig out the other two rocks from my tank. Will Ibe able to start cycling with only base rock and no live rock in my tank?

Buffy said:
K Thanks, I think I'll break it and put back in bucket. i think i should dig out the other two rocks from my tank. Will Ibe able to start cycling with only base rock and no live rock in my tank?

You're going to need a source for decay to produce ammonia to kick off your cycle ,... Wether it be Shrimp, fish flakes, decaying live rock or even a dead unidentified banded worm like creature :-/ .....

Dary421 said:
You're going to need a source for decay to produce ammonia to kick off your cycle ,... Wether it be Shrimp, fish flakes, decaying live rock or even a dead unidentified banded worm like creature :-/ .....

Hahaha that was great... we have a new way to do the fishless cycle.
. We can call it the buffy approach.

You guys!!!!!!!!! :lol: You just wait til I get corals and fishies and such. I'm scared of them too. But hey, gotta conquer my fears some time. It just may take awhile to stock so I can get my guts up.

I really don't wanna put that wormie thing in my tank lol. I bought a jug of ammonia a week ago so I could start cycling when the time came. Will that be able to do it if I take my "live" rock back out?

EWE!!!!

Ok so I couldn't find my tweasers so I used needle nose. The thing wouldn't budge. Only thing that budged was it's outer skin. EWE!!!!. So I broke open the rock after I broke a flathead lol. Broke it in half and there were 4 more cavern's, and one was huge. In the middle were two MORE wormy things. One real long, skinny and almost transparent (think another spagetti worm), the other spaghetti worm got lost some where, but this was bigger than the other and about 5 inches.

So the rock is in a milk crate outside til I decide to let it "die" or "toss", I'm leaning toward tossing because I don't like the shapes it broke into and also it is VERY dense, other than those caverns it is SOLID. And there was another critter poking it's head through and I couldn't break it close enough. So 1 rock became 3.

I'm gonna take out my other 2 live rock now. This one was the medium rock. The way the other 2 are they must be pretty dense also because they are heavy too.

Ok so I couldn't find my tweasers so I used needle nose. The thing wouldn't budge. Only thing that budged was it's outer skin. EWE!!!!. So I broke open the rock after I broke a flathead lol. Broke it in half and there were 4 more cavern's, and one was huge. In the middle were two MORE wormy things. One real long, skinny and almost transparent (think another spagetti worm), the other spaghetti worm got lost some where, but this was bigger than the other and about 5 inches.

So the rock is in a milk crate outside til I decide to let it "die" or "toss", I'm leaning toward tossing because I don't like the shapes it broke into and also it is VERY dense, other than those caverns it is SOLID. And there was another critter poking it's head through and I couldn't break it close enough. So 1 rock became 3.

I'm gonna take out my other 2 live rock now. This one was the medium rock. The way the other 2 are they must be pretty dense also because they are heavy too.
you can always take a blowtorch to it,thatll make the one you couldnt get come out.

Buffy said:

Break it down to more rubble a or other smaller piece sometime small pieces come in handy while aquascaping.. no point on wasting it

Yes, def save them pieces. You might wanna use them for frags later. Or if you start a pico one day ;-)

Buffy said:

So,...did you snap a few pictures of this " home invasion" ???

Yes I did take a few pictures, my hands were shaking alittle though cause I had to get too close for comfort.

I'll save the rock and break it down, you're right, I may need it. Me a pico, nah. I still have the 55, 40B, 2-20 longs, 4 10's to work on. So yeah I'll need it.

I'll post pics shortly.

pics

Here are a few. Hope you can see them. The long whitish one, was in the rock when I broke the rock--I was too freaked to snap a pic LOL. Sorry so blurry.

1st pic, in center.

2nd pic, one on left, one in center kinda curled up, and another one on right. None of these pics are of the first one I found.

3rd pic, something on bottom left and center right.

4th pic two starting to poke through

Upon further review,... I think it WAS a "peanut worm"....( Apparently a harmless creature)...
Warning,..If you are a peanut worm,stay away from Buffy's tank ,..she'll mess you up!! :- /

Yep beware Buffy :)

To get to the other junk, it had to go. So far nothing coming out of the other 2 live rock but then again, they were basking in the heat outside.

How do you guys not worry bout hitchhikers? You just put your rock in and deal with it? I guess I'm too new yet and worried I won't be able to get the bad meanies and creepy crawlies out.

I started with rock from an established tank and went over it with a fine tooth comb. I didn't find anything other than a little crab which died while cycling. All the rest of my rock has been base rock so no worries there. i also got an asterina starfish as a hitchhiker, nothing too severe. lol

I got mine from Live Aquaria. I guess I'm just chicken. I don't know what anything is or if good or bad. Do you think I should go ahead and put these live rock back in then and just watch? Will the nasties (if there are any left lol) come out before I get fish or corals or anything?

To be honest, I would put them back in. Try to grab whatever you can find and yank it, but it's better to have the rock in the tank rather than wasting it. You've been ove it thoroughly so you prob don't have anything considered "bad". Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom