HOB or sponge filter for 10 gallon with a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joany

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male Betta in a 10 gallon with an aquaclear 20 for a filter. Even at the lowest flow setting, I think it's too much flow for him. We are going to add a school of 8 neon tetras soon (he's a mellow betta, has lived with small tetras before with no issues). I am considering switching to a sponge filter, as I already have an air pump that is not being used. Would that be better for him? Would it be enough filtration for the neons as well? I do weekly 25% water changes. Thanks for your advice--I've never used a sponge filter before.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A sponge would be better as long as its big enough.

How strong is the air pump? because the stronger the air pump, the more air is being pushed through which means more filtration.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You may need to do larger water changes but otherwise a sponge filter should be fine. Just be aware that you may end up re-cycling your tank once you remove the aquaclear.

It doesn't really matter what sponge you get in a tank of that size. What matters is how much air can be pumped through

It matters because as the air is pumped through, it creates a siphon effect which draws in water and pulls out particulate. So more air=faster and more efficient filtering.

Nearly any sponge will have enough bioload capacity to handle a 10 gallon.

I would recommend getting a stronger pump, i use ones rated for about 30 gallons with my sponges. On a 10 gallon. I have 2 but still, i would say at least use a pump rated for 20.

You can choose to run the HOB or just take out the filter pad and set it next to the running sponge for a few days (make sure they are touching) and it should move from one to the other very quickly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom