HOB versus Cannister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craneguru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 45 gallon freshwater planted tank. I've been using a Marineland Emperor HOB filter for over a decade, and I am seriously considering going to a canister filter. My tank is in our TV room, and my wife is constantly complaining about the noise of the splashing water.

First..., is one better than the other?

Second..., recommendations for canister filters?

First..., is one better than the other?
Not really. This recent thread has pro/cons of each type in it.

A properly setup canister can definitely be quieter if that is your goal.

Second..., recommendations for canister filters?

I would recommend the Eheim Professional 4+ 350. IMO, far nicer than anything else currently made in that size range.

Sunsun is a great lower price canister to try out. I have 2 for over a year and no issues.

I figure when one dies I'll pony up for the better ones $$$.

I have a cobalt I got on clearance I must say Trash no wonder it was on clearance ,
It took 2 inline pumps on intake and 2 inline pumps on output just for a decent circulation , I'm lucky to have had a few floating around as those things are not cheap .
A canister to avoid at all costs .

Hello Crane...

If you're a good water changer, then a couple of simple dual sponge filters will easily do the job of filtering the water and they are so quiet, you'll think they aren't working. A canister filter is expensive and high maintenance. A couple of dual sponge filters will cost no more than $15.00 shipped.

Your wife will think you're a rocket scientist, because you're a smart money guy and smart enough to do what she asked and got a quiet filter system.

B

a couple of simple dual sponge filters will easily do the job of filtering the water and they are so quiet, you'll think they aren't working.

I like sponge filters, especially in tanks requiring low flow or in racks with many tanks sharing the same pump. That being said, I wouldn't call them "quiet". They also aren't particularly good mechanical filters for a display tank unless you use a ton of air.

Hello dalt...

I have a 45 G with three dual sponge filters in my living room, less than 6 feet from the TV and my wife and I don't even know the filters are running. These's a very slight hum from the air pump that runs the filters, but other than that, nothing. I have the filter spouts out of the water, but no noise.

B

Everybody has different sensitivity level to noise levels but all the sponge filters I have ever used either has the lift tube below the water line which caused bubbles to constantly flow to the top or the lift tube above the water line causing a flow of water out of the tube and back into the tank. Either of those scenarios should create some amount of noise. Of course, as you pointed out, the air pump itself will also make some noise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom