Honey Gourami advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Singhstyle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I bought 7 seven of these ( 3 males, 4 females ) . Got the extra one free as it was a little one.

I added to the tank 5 days ago. All they do is hide in the plants! I was concerned at first they werent feeding but i got some sinking pellets and they eat those . In the tanl are 6x zebra danios, 6 white cloud minnow, 12 neon tetra and 6 harlequin rasborta. The tank is 275l so there is room !

Two questions:
1) are they this shy???? in the shop they were zooming around the tank (but they tank was small and bare)
2) What can i do to get them out and about?

Give them some time. My honey gourami are extremely curious and sociable and will even swim around my hand when I gravel vac, but it did take them a bit to gain confidence. Also, do you have floating plants? Honey gourami don't like excessive bright light and I noticed a big change when I added a bunch of frogbit to my tank. Hope they come out!

azmodan said:
Give them some time. My honey gourami are extremely curious and sociable and will even swim around my hand when I gravel vac, but it did take them a bit to gain confidence. Also, do you have floating plants? Honey gourami don't like excessive bright light and I noticed a big change when I added a bunch of frogbit to my tank. Hope they come out!

I agree...mine were timid for 7-10 days before starting to swim around like they should. Now even my rams and kribs don't scare them...they are all over the tank.

Thanks to you both . Patience is the key ! I did notice that when i turn of the bubble they do start to come out and look. I have a planted tank so will only turn on bubbles for the night now.

The Honeys are one of the more agressive Gouramis, despite their small size. Like all Gouramis they like floating plants. If any of your fish start to make a bubble nests, they will become very territrial.

Back
Top Bottom