Hopeful Zero Cycle Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MABJ said:
Shrimp can cost anywhere from .50 cents to 15 dollars each. It depends on their rarity. I'd be careful. Do plenty of research. Any shrimp with the same first scientific name will breed with another shrimp of that same name. So black and red crystal shrimp will inbreed and create an ugly offspring. Same with red cherry and blue pearl shrimp.

:) wish I could go. And yeah these RCS are cool!!

It also depends on the grade or quality (especially with CRS). Sometimes CRS are more than $10 each.

maxwellag said:
It also depends on the grade or quality (especially with CRS). Sometimes CRS are more than $10 each.

Yeah that's what I meant :) they have different grades.

Ok, I thought the price for the Blackberries seemed cheap enough and as you say maybe the grade/color could vary. So I can't go today which is when I thought I would go, had to to in to work today, so maybe next week and I can get some more research done first.

Thanks. :)

Autumnsky said:
Ok, I thought the price for the Blackberries seemed cheap enough and as you say maybe the grade/color could vary. So I can't go today which is when I thought I would go, had to to in to work today, so maybe next week and I can get some more research done first.

Thanks. :)

Yeah. Do lots of research. If you don't have a cycled tank ready, just psych yourself out with good research.

I will move to a new thread for my "Shrimp Quest". Please all you helpful sorts follow along. I will start it tonight or tomorrow, don't have enough time right this second. Thank you!

OK!

Time for an update.

Plants are doing well but one, but I didn't expect everything to succeed.

I must have done well in planting, I can NEVER find my RCS lol. There's just too many places for them to hide.

I catch them every once in a while upside down on the duckweed roof.

I must haves more!

For all shrimp lovers everywhere, I found a... very attractive website.

Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimps | Extremely Rare in the US

This is AA lol!! Accept you people create the issue! Lol.

The website has nice shrimp at great prices lol.

Yeah seen them go from .50 for cherry shrimp to 99 bucks for king kong....99 dollars holy heck that shrimp had better clean it's own tank and maybe my house while he's at it!

Sake said:
Yeah seen them go from .50 for cherry shrimp to 99 bucks for king kong....99 dollars holy heck that shrimp had better clean it's own tank and maybe my house while he's at it!

They can go higher than that when they are new and rare and colorful ;)

I want to discover some lol.

That's a way to make a killing... Lol.

75-150 a shrimp? XD I'd be salivating at a saddled/berried shrimp.

How does a King Kong shrimp, compare to the price of Gold?!?

Really, even at that price, for $400, one male & three females, you could have a pretty decent return on investment. Say 23x75=225 babies, and if you are lucky the females come already preggo, quicker return, sell them for $50.00 each, and if my calculator is correct, $11,250. I think I have come up with a new job. LOL

That's assuming that you find someone that's willing to pay that much for the shrimp. And last time I saw BKK's for sale (shrimplab site) they were like 200+ iirc. A hunch tells me that there is not a huge market of people buying 200+ dollar shrimp, or even 20+ dollar shrimp in many cases.

And you also have to factor in random shrimp deaths and total tank wipeouts. I don't know about you but I would have some major emotional issues if I lost one.

Ok the really all black ones go for hundreds and hundreds more but even at that, still not a bad investment.

MABJ-You know, I am not a jealous person.................but.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Another update.

My tank is doing well. Although I'm still considering downsizing my plants and scraping the 5g as a whole.

A 2g would be so much easier and since I ruled out micro fish this year. I actually got the cost down to $41 shipped with free Hagen/Fluval shrimp food, or an equivalent $3.99 item.
-- comments on that deal for a brand new Fluval Spec?

Well shrimp wise, I think the tank is fine. I knew the two I bought weren't being well taken care of. They were sitting still in a tank of waste. I think one may have died off, because I only ever see one at a time. In a tank with so many snails and another shrimp, I don't think I could have noticed a death.

I see one out very often :) I think it is the same one. It's so cute swimming in the water, hanging from duckweed and moving from plant to plant.

A note on some of the pics I will attach, the long straight stem plant behind the not straight plant, sprouted out of nowhere lol! I'm convinced it's part of the clover that was planted nearby, but it just sprouted soooo high.

Wow plants are lookin nice and that shrimp sure does seem to like the tank!

Well there is one plant that just kind of withered. It wouldn't stay rooted, so I let it float at the top and it isn't doing well there.

But thanks lol

WOOT! Time to revive this thread.

I've bought a Fluval Spec. So that will be the new focus of the thread.

I'll post pictures of me setting it up.

Should I cut my filter media I have now in half? Then put it into the spec?

The 5g will act as a holding tank for some hopeful fire reds I might win on Aquabid :D

Which color did you get? Are you transferring all your plants? Which substrate ya going to use? Fire reds huh, nice I hope ya get them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom