How do I raise my ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there, I was just wondering how to raise the ph in my 10 gal tank. It's a little on low side. I have one small Molly and some guppies...

Artificially adjusting the pH can lead to major issues. Fish will adjust to the chemistry of most tap waters.

What is the actual value and why do you want to adjust it?

What is the pH of your tap water?
What is the pH of your tap water after it has gassed out for 24 hours?

Hi there, I was just wondering how to raise the ph in my 10 gal tank. It's a little on low side. I have one small Molly and some guppies...

Why do you want to raise it?

Most fish will just adapt to the pH they are in, but you can run into trouble when you fluctuate it on them.

Well i was checking all of my water parameters and my ph level came back as below ideal. So i thought it would be better for the fish if i got it back to the ideal level. But if you think they will be OK then I will leave it be.

Well i was checking all of my water parameters and my ph level came back as below ideal. So i thought it would be better for the fish if i got it back to the ideal level. But if you think they will be OK then I will leave it be.

Do you know what it is right now?

I believe it was low in the 6 range. Like 6.2 and the fish seem fine. However in my small breeder tank and I just got a beautiful orange guppy to mate with one of my favorite females and since I got them he is sitting on the bottom of the tank. He comes out to eat and doesn't appear to have any injuries. All the parameters are good in that tank aside from the ph being a little low like my big tank. And he swims fine. Not sure why he's sitting at the bottom. I've had him since Saturday

baking soda. Just a little bit at a time. Be careful in a 10g not to adjust the ph too much at once. i would add 1/8tsp per day in a 10 gallon until the pH was at my desired level.

Once your target pH is achieved, add baking soda to the replacement water during water changes, not top offs.

You could also instead get Seachem. Neutral Regulator to get your pH to 7.0 and keep it there. It works well, also conditions water, removes chlorine & chloramine, so you don't need to use any other conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom