How do you tell if a snail is dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a black mystery snail. He hasn't moved from under a cave in my tank for a few days. He was upside down, with the top of the shell on the gravel, and his trapdoor was partly closed. I figured he had died but when I took him out the trapdoor slowly closed. Also, it doesn't really smell. I don't want it to add ammonia, how do I tell if it's dead?

Well... If it doesn't smell, it's still alive, so just wait and see. He could be sick, have you treated your tank with anything recently?

I have not treated anything recently. I do use FloraPride, chlorine removers, and occasionally MelaFix. Has any of these been known to cause snail deaths?

FloraPride, Melafix, and dechlorinator are all invert safe.

This is normal snail behavoir. It is possible it is slowing down and about to die, or it may just be in a semi-hibernation state for a few days. I wouldn't worry yet, just keep an eye/nose on it ;)

Still no smell, I put it in a seperate container for now so I can keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom