How long to seed new media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys... Just a quick question...

I just setup my 125g a couple weeks ago... I ran the aquaclear 110 that has previously been run on the same tank before it was transferred here so it has established media.

My eheim 2260 is running along with the ac110. The ac110 is helping seed the eheim which has not been running prior to the setup of the tank so the media is fresh.

When I filled the 125g I used approx 50% established water and 50% new water and ran the established ac110 and eheim 2260 right away so it was like starting the tank off with a large water change...

So the question is:

How long will it take the seed the new eheim filter? I am debating whether or not I want to run the eheim 2260 alone on the 125g. Would the 2260 be enough filtration for a 125g alone? (I think it says it's good for up to 500g tanks?) if it's enough for a 125g when can I transfer the ac110 to another tank that needs it? Would I benefit greatly by leaving the ac110 on the 125 along with the eheim? I might just do that to make the tank extra clear... Thx everyone for the advice. These forums rock!

I am confused. Is running a new filter at the same time as an old filter really "seeding" the new filter? How is the bacteria from the old filter going to get to the new filter? I always thought "seeding" involved physically putting the beneficial bacteria from an old filter into a new filter by putting old filter material into the new filter?

Running a new filter in a tank with an old filter might grow BB a bit faster than just running a new filter without the old...I suppose the old filter will be spitting some BB into the tank, which will eventually be picked up by the new filter. But I never really thought of that as "seeding". Eventually both methods will get the job done I suppose, but I would think putting old filter material in the new filter would speed things up considerably. Or even just squishing out old filter material directly into the water near the intake for the new filter...

I am confused. Is running a new filter at the same time as an old filter really "seeding" the new filter? How is the bacteria from the old filter going to get to the new filter? I always thought "seeding" involved physically putting the beneficial bacteria from an old filter into a new filter by putting old filter material into the new filter?

Running a new filter in a tank with an old filter might grow BB a bit faster than just running a new filter without the old...I suppose the old filter will be spitting some BB into the tank, which will eventually be picked up by the new filter. But I never really thought of that as "seeding". Eventually both methods will get the job done I suppose, but I would think putting old filter material in the new filter would speed things up considerably. Or even just squishing out old filter material directly into the water near the intake for the new filter...

When I set up a new tank like the OP has, I use a seeded filter to introduce bacteria to the system along with fish stock (moderate) to handle the waste and (in this case) the Eheim canister will build up bacteria while the AC110 maintains it.

Mr. Limpet said:
I like the way you set it up, I do the same thing.

Is it lightly or heavily stocked?

I'd say 10 days to 2 weeks to be sure.

IMO it's lightly stocked... 7 small to large fish... Thanks! I think I might keep the ac110 running with the eheim even tho I'm pretty sure the eheim could handle the load alone but I guess u can never have enough filtration lol... Only reason I will take it off is if I find one of my other tanks needs it more :)

I'll wait at least a month just to be extra sure if I even move it

The new filter could be seeded faster if some of the old filter material was transferred to the new filter. But U agree that in a couple of weeks the new filter should be established.

Without the prev established filter, the new one could only do mechanical, not bio filtration without a full cycle, the way described should be very safe, especially if leaving the old filter in there for 1 month.

Back
Top Bottom