How many cory's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many cory's can I put in a 55? With 2 bn pleco's? Debating on whether I'm gonna do a planted tank or another Cichlid tank. I have a planted 10 gallon that I love, and i def can't have a planted tank with my Africans so I was thinking about turning my 55 into a heavily planted tank. I think I only want Cory's since I can really decide on anything else I like. Well I did see some Badis, I think hey were? Do they eat shrimp? If they are shrimp safe then I may consider some of them.

AndrewsPistol said:
How many cory's can I put in a 55? With 2 bn pleco's? Debating on whether I'm gonna do a planted tank or another Cichlid tank. I have a planted 10 gallon that I love, and i def can't have a planted tank with my Africans so I was thinking about turning my 55 into a heavily planted tank. I think I only want Cory's since I can really decide on anything else I like. Well I did see some Badis, I think hey were? Do they eat shrimp? If they are shrimp safe then I may consider some of them.

Wht filter do u have

AndrewsPistol said:
Perfect, thanks! Any info on Badis with em? Will they eat my shrimplets?

Srry I'm not really familiar with badis I would hate to give u the wrong advice

So a question about adding a few species instead of just one... Will they crossbreed? Not really looking to breed but if they do I'd rather not have any mutts :)

I have 4 albino, 4 three line, and 3 peppered and I think that is pushing it for bottom dwellers. I too have two bn's. And no they don't cross breed;) mine swim with everyone, but only rest with their own kind. Can't help with the barbs as I have harliquins and angels...

hcourts said:
I have 4 albino, 4 three line, and 3 peppered and I think that is pushing it for bottom dwellers. I too have two bn's. And no they don't cross breed;) mine swim with everyone, but only rest with their own kind. Can't help with the barbs as I have harliquins and angels...

What do you mean when you say pushing it? To much activity? To much mess? Bioload? Just wondering cuz I'd like to have several species Of corys in one tank one day.

The O.P. is referring to a 55gal. and imo it all depends what species of cory your going to stock. For example you could easily do 15-20 pandas but maybe only half as many bronze. Andrews P. to answer your other questions, no corys won't breed with other cory species and i think badis dario or scarlet badis would eat shrimplets. "Not 100% sure on that tho:)"

Well, there are scarlet badis (Dario dario) and then there are Badi badis. Not the same fish. The scarlet badi is better suited to a tank with mostly nano tankmates and would probably get lost in a 55g tank. They would also intimidated by the all the activity of the cories.
25 is too many IMO. I would just start with 8-10 and see how you feel from there. Personally, I think about 15 would be the highest I would go on cories in a 55g tank. As was said though, there are some size differences that would allow that number to flex. I say go to your lfs, find a species or 2 you like and get a group. Once they are in the tank, it will be easier to see their activity level and know what you are comfortable with. Keep in mind cories like albino, bronze, and peppered get like 3 inches (for females), so they don't stay as tiny as they usually look in stores.
Virtually any fish will eat shrimplets if given a chance. Some fish will do fine with shrimp in a planted tank, it depends though. Cories won't eat shrimplets.

Thanks so much guys! I make a small profit off my RCS so I don't really want any fish that will snack them :) I've heard cory's are good with them and I really love the way they root around at the lfs, so darn cute, and that's why I would love to have a little colony of them! Thanks again!

Cory & Gravel

do cory cats do well in gravel? i've heard it a bad idea cause they may get their barbels stuck in the gravel and it might rip them off...

is this true?

Back
Top Bottom