how to add a Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125G tank with a 20Gallon Sump. The picture of the sump had to be cut in two.. .you can see the right side (bio's) and left side (open/skimmer).

Question is can I incorporate a Refugium into this sump? (maybe move the skimmer to the outside)? Or if I had to do a small 10-20gal ref and incorporate it into the existing set up. --- how would I do it? I would have to place it to the left of the pump.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC03373.jpg
    DSC03373.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03374.jpg
    DSC03374.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03369.jpg
    DSC03369.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 67
I would drill a second tank. If you have a refugium in the sump well, Skimmers may skim the life in it. A 20G acrylic tank isnt too expensive and you can put 2 bulkheads in it at the bottom side of one for redundancy and, and the other have 1 bulkhead and have the pump connected to that. Then it becomes like one tank.

Thanks -- so let's say I add a refugium to the left side of the cabinet space. This would also be to the left of the pump (and current sump). How do I plumb it into everything?

img_1027913_0_510c7e80f2891123bcc1e541157bf8d4.png
The pump hooks to the second piece of pvc.

Awesome... you don't know how long I have searched for a pic like that LOL

Thanks for walking me through this.... couple more questions.

• where the pump hooks up to the fuge... do I put a sponge or something on the intake to make sure all the "fuge" things don't get sucked up?
  • what stops the fuge from back flowing into the sump during power outage etc...
  • I guess just "force" keep the water flowing between the sump and fuge?

To get enough water in the 10g fuge you may have to raise your sump off the bottom of the stand so that the water level in the sump would match the fuge about 2/3 the way full and you will need to put a baffle at the end of the fuge to keep proper water level and to keep from picking up your sand and macro.

Back
Top Bottom