How to fix aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summercgreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a 180g tank that was used for saltwater. I'm using it as a freshwater and have Fluval FX5 canister to filter it. But the tank has 4 holes cut in the bottom where the piping use to be to run the filter system when it was a saltwater system. My question is what is the best way to seal these holes? Any suggestions?

Why don't you use it for a sump filter? You can do a sump with freshwater. They work great. You can build a real good bacteria colony with a sump. If you really want to seal it just buy some bulkheads and a plug for the bulkheads. Then you at least will still have the option of using a sump in the future.

I picked up a 125 gallon that the heater melted the bottom. I first sanded the area flat then siliconed a over sized piece of plexi to the area. Use a aquarium safe silicone. In my area there's a plastic chain that has a scrap bin, Most times they will give a piece away.

Is it glass or plexi?

Rlavassor86 said:
Why don't you use it for a sump filter? You can do a sump with freshwater. They work great. You can build a real good bacteria colony with a sump. If you really want to seal it just buy some bulkheads and a plug for the bulkheads. Then you at least will still have the option of using a sump in the future.

I'm not sure how to do that:( do you know a website that explains how it's done? I think I still have everything from the saltwater setup. (Except the pipes were cut, easy to replace). There is a Reeflo Dart pump, a reactor with a carbon tank, protein skimmer and sump tank. But I don't have a clue where to start:(

ezy33 said:
I picked up a 125 gallon that the heater melted the bottom. I first sanded the area flat then siliconed a over sized piece of plexi to the area. Use a aquarium safe silicone. In my area there's a plastic chain that has a scrap bin, Most times they will give a piece away.

Is it glass or plexi?

It is a glass tank. I have easy access to acrylic and plex but I'm worried it will leak and not hold. They have plex over the holes right now with silicone but I tested out and it leaked right away.

summercgreen said:
I'm not sure how to do that:( do you know a website that explains how it's done? I think I still have everything from the saltwater setup. (Except the pipes were cut, easy to replace). There is a Reeflo Dart pump, a reactor with a carbon tank, protein skimmer and sump tank. But I don't have a clue where to start:(

Did you get the sump tank as well? You can build one out of like a 30 gal tank and a few pieces of acrylic. You won't need a skimmer or the reactor for FW. There is tons of info and diagrams on the net, just google DIY sump build. You already have most of what you need, IMO it would be worth doing a sump.

Edit- just seen you do have the tank. So you just need some PVC pipe and a couple ball valves to contol water flow. Pretty cheap and its quick to do.

Rlavassor86 said:
There's also a ton of videos in YouTube that walk you thru the build step by step

Thank you for your help. I've been doing some research and it sure does sound like the sump is more beneficial. I guess I just have to purchase some media for the sump.
Quick question though, I saw that everyone had their heaters in the sump. Does this mean I don't have to have one in the aquarium?

summercgreen said:
Thank you for your help. I've been doing some research and it sure does sound like the sump is more beneficial. I guess I just have to purchase some media for the sump.
Quick question though, I saw that everyone had their heaters in the sump. Does this mean I don't have to have one in the aquarium?

Correct.

I just want to see if I understand this. There's 2 holes on each side of my tank. One set is going to the sump and the other set is return. The set that goes into the sump goes through the media then is pumped back into the tank. My pump is external, but the hole is already drilled on the side of the sump. So do I have my intake pipes sitting just below the water level and my return above and elbow it back down into the water? And where exactly do I put the air hole in the return to make sure my sump doesn't overflow if there's a power outage?
Sorry for all these questions;)

summercgreen said:
I just want to see if I understand this. There's 2 holes on each side of my tank. One set is going to the sump and the other set is return. The set that goes into the sump goes through the media then is pumped back into the tank. My pump is external, but the hole is already drilled on the side of the sump. So do I have my intake pipes sitting just below the water level and my return above and elbow it back down into the water? And where exactly do I put the air hole in the return to make sure my sump doesn't overflow if there's a power outage?

One drain and one return each side. Don't pay attention to what they labeled as intakes. The left pipe is your drain into sump. There's a little air tube on top of the elbow for drain so you don't overfill the sump in power outage. The right is return and works great for creating currents if your return pump is strong enough. You can get the flex tube for the return for pretty cheap.

Attachments

• image-1999018431.jpg
    image-1999018431.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 40
summercgreen said:

Does the tank have overflow dividers surrounding the holes?

remy the cook said:
are sumps beneficial for smaller tanks like 29-60 gallons?

I've seen people do a sump on 10 gal before. Idk if there are any more advantages to going it on a small tank but I've seen it done.

The aquarium has the hole on the sides (excuse the plex with silicone over them) and the pipes would go straight up and a black box would surround them so you can't see them. The sump has dividers, first one is near the top so water goes below it. ( slightly shorter than the top of sump tank I'm guessing for overflow) then the second divider is maybe 2" away and sits on the bottom so the water flows above. Then into the bigger section where the hole is cut on the side leading to the pump. It's quite a big sump. Maybe 40-50g I'm guessing (excuse the messy sump, it still hasn't been cleaned from salt)

Attachments

• image-1383438336.jpg
    image-1383438336.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3033590290.jpg
    image-3033590290.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2783760932.jpg
    image-2783760932.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 45
summercgreen said:
The aquarium has the hole on the sides (excuse the plex with silicone over them) and the pipes would go straight up and a black box would surround them so you can't see them. The sump has dividers, first one is near the top so water goes below it. ( slightly shorter than the top of sump tank I'm guessing for overflow) then the second divider is maybe 2" away and sits on the bottom so the water flows above. Then into the bigger section where the hole is cut on the side leading to the pump. It's quite a big sump. Maybe 40-50g I'm guessing (excuse the messy sump, it still hasn't been cleaned from salt)

If it were mine I'd plug that hole in the side start over with it. Every sump I've done has had the intake higher and comes in through a filter dock then onto some bio media in a trickle chamber then through your baffles and into like a refugium area you can add things like plants for extra filtration or crushed coral for Buffering African cichlid tanks. Then through more baffles to your return pump area. You can buy a plug to put in the bulkhead already in the side. No silicone or plastic required. Ill find you a good link on a DIY build for it. Doesn't take much time or effort and it will work a lot better than what you've got. You'll just need a few more pieces of acrylic. Just give me a few I'm doing a pwc on my 125 right now.

Rlavassor86 said:
If it were mine I'd plug that hole in the side start over with it. Every sump I've done has had the intake higher and comes in through a filter dock then onto some bio media in a trickle chamber then through your baffles and into like a refugium area you can add things like plants for extra filtration or crushed coral for Buffering African cichlid tanks. Then through more baffles to your return pump area. You can buy a plug to put in the bulkhead already in the side. No silicone or plastic required. Ill find you a good link on a DIY build for it. Doesn't take much time or effort and it will work a lot better than what you've got. You'll just need a few more pieces of acrylic. Just give me a few I'm doing a pwc on my 125 right now.

I really appreciate all your help. :)

This what I was going by. But obviously my pump is external. So basically what I need to do is plug the side hole on the sump, add more acrylic walls, and have a pipe elbowing from the pump over the sump into the water that is going back to the aquarium?

Attachments

• image-2767947583.jpg
    image-2767947583.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 32
Oh and my aquarium has holes on the bottom so it would go straight up through the tank. Not beside and in;) lol

Here's a good diagram of how I'd set it up. Just in place of the skimmer shown is where I'd put my trickle chamber with the bio media.

Attachments

• image-2226895017.jpg
    image-2226895017.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom