How to keep fish schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasbora

Aquarium Advice Regular
My rasbora and neon tetras are no longer schooling, only rummy nose tetras are still schooling. Do fish not schooling after they feel safe in new place ? What can I do to keep them schooling ? Change the layout ? Increase waterflow ? or add a predator LOL ?

Last one in my opinion. Not really a predator, but a bigger more assertive fish helped my fish school. So maybe a gourmi or angelfish IMO

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Last one in my opinion. Not really a predator, but a bigger more assertive fish helped my fish school. So maybe a gourmi or angelfish IMO

There are already 7 dwarf gouramis in that 75 tank.

A dwarf gourami isn't very big. A pearl gourami or angelfish would probably do the trick.
But fish that are not school are comfortable I guess!

How big is your school?

Adding a larger fish will encourage them to school. The problem is you can't add an other gourami that is asking for trouble and the angel might eat the smaller tetras.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Serious???? Wow maybe you need to increase the schools??

I have arround 20 rasboras, 5 neon tetras, 8 rummynose tetras and around 20 other fishies. Now I see rasboras schooling when I change the water or my daughter scares them.

gabysapha said:
A dwarf gourami isn't very big. A pearl gourami or angelfish would probably do the trick.
But fish that are not school are comfortable I guess!

How big is your school?

20 rasboras, 5 neons and 8 rummynoses. btw as I said before, rummynoees are still schooling.

Ya well the rummies and neons will definitly school more if you add to the group. What other fish do you have besides the gourmis?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya well the rummies and neons will definitly school more if you add to the group. What other fish do you have besides the gourmis?

3 guppies, 10 panda corridoras, 1 sae.

Hmm okay... Ya well i would definitly think that your rasaboras would be schooling but im not sure...

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hmm okay... Ya well i would definitly think that your rasaboras would be schooling but im not sure...

I have 10 and they loosely school. They stick together but go all over. So maybe they are just not tight schoolers in general?

gabysapha said:
I have 10 and they loosely school. They stick together but go all over. So maybe they are just not tight schoolers in general?

I have heard that rummies will school the tightest out of all the schooling fish. Others, if feeling comfortable, just sort of stay in the general area of each other.

IMO rasboras are somewhat tight schoolers. They are more of free-floating water nomads that do not give a thought about other fish and will simply breeze their way two and fro from one end of the tank to another. My rasboras are in a 40 gallon and do not even attempt schooling unless I sneak attack on them, I would not be surprised if they weren't schooling in yours if it had no big fish.

I saw a lot of natural aquascaping picture or video (like the one designed by Amano). Most of them showing a large number of schooling fish like neon or cardinal only. In those aquarium, why do they schooling when there are no other fish ? do they schooling forever or only for limited time ?

IDK, but in most of those Amano aquascapes from what I've seen, they have huge schools of around 10-30, depending on how big the tank is. In that big of a school all they would do is school together since there's so many of them. I have always seen cardinals as tightly schooling fish, they were timid IMO.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO rasboras are somewhat tight schoolers. They are more of free-floating water nomads that do not give a thought about other fish and will simply breeze their way two and fro from one end of the tank to another. My rasboras are in a 40 gallon and do not even attempt schooling unless I sneak attack on them, I would not be surprised if they weren't schooling in yours if it had no big fish.

Any idea of other big fish that I can try beside gouramis and angels ?

Back
Top Bottom