How to keep fish schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everybody for your advices.

Have been searching about the cause of mass of death of my new fishes. Found one articles explaining some reasons for this symptom in tetras (neon, cardinal, rednose, etc). The reason was:
1. Acclimating
2. Tank is still cycling
3. Difference of pH value
4. Fast selling cycle in the shop (when the fish was not fully acclimated to shop's water, the fish was sold to the buyer)

For those reason, I tought a reasonable reason for my case is number 3 or 4. But number 3 should be OK with acclimating..... so number 4 ?

I don't buy the 'collision in the bag' LFS response, kinda silly IMO. As long as they weren't constantly being freaked out during the acclimation period it shouldn't be a problem.

Not to mention, the LFS should know better since they receive their fish in densely packed bags themselves and those stay in shipping overnight or even a few days, so that argument doesn't work at all.

The pH acclimation thing is kind of a myth also, but even still, a 3 hour acclimation is more than enough for even a huge pH shift, and that is a relatively small one.

#4 is possible, if your water tests all look fine then I would point more into the direction of a stock issue from the LFS or possible aggression in the tank (sorry don't remember your exact stock).

bruinsbro1997 said:
I don't know if it's number four, depends on the quality of your LFS.
To be sure:
Did you add any chemicals, ex. SeaChem Prime, to the tank recently?

I added prime on weekly pwc. I also dose flourish twice a week.

jetajockey said:
I don't buy the 'collision in the bag' LFS response, kinda silly IMO. As long as they weren't constantly being freaked out during the acclimation period it shouldn't be a problem.

Not to mention, the LFS should know better since they receive their fish in densely packed bags themselves and those stay in shipping overnight or even a few days, so that argument doesn't work at all.

The pH acclimation thing is kind of a myth also, but even still, a 3 hour acclimation is more than enough for even a huge pH shift, and that is a relatively small one.

#4 is possible, if your water tests all look fine then I would point more into the direction of a stock issue from the LFS or possible aggression in the tank (sorry don't remember your exact stock).

Check tge water this morning. Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm, pH 6.8, KH 3. I think should be no problem from the water side.

jetajockey said:
And just to clarify what kind of fish were the ones you added? And what else is in the tank?

I added 10 rummy nose tetras.

75 gal tank, eheim 2075 filter with seachem matrix and purigen.

fish list:
20 rasboras
7 dwarf gouramis
10 panda corri
8 rummynose tetra (previous stock)
3 guppy
1 sae

Back
Top Bottom