Hybrids/Crossbreeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I am curious what other people think of man-made hybrid fish, like the blood parrot for example. I know many people keep them and like them. I have tended to shy away from them, but I guess I am not entirely sure where I stand.

I am curious what other people think of man-made hybrid fish, like the blood parrot for example. I know many people keep them and like them. I have tended to shy away from them, but I guess I am not entirely sure where I stand.
WARNING PERSONAL OPINION IS ABOUT TO BE VOICED lol I personally have no problem with some hybrids (livebearers as an example) however I have a big problem with hybrids that cause the fish to be unable to regularly live. Just my opinion though.

My hybrid jaguar syntadonis is one of my favorite fish.

I named him "Hoover" because he sucks up food from the gravel faster than I could vacuum it.

WARNING PERSONAL OPINION IS ABOUT TO BE VOICED lol I personally have no problem with some hybrids (livebearers as an example) however I have a big problem with hybrids that cause the fish to be unable to regularly live. Just my opinion though.
I understand that. After all, livebearer hybrids happen because the fish are so.... enthusiatic... about mating. Also, I don't know if those hybrids can reproduce. I am certainly not positive about that, but I have never heard of it as of now. I suppose sterility isn't a good reason for me to support something or not though.

iv got mbuna hybrids on the way, no idea what they will be but they arent going to any lfs or specific breeders, purely my own pleasure.

its ok to hybridize as long as they arent claimed as purebreeds or it causes painful/disfiguring characteristics in the fish.

I have a bigger problem with selectively breeding for abnormalities.. like balloon fish. But, as long as the hybrids are sold as hybrids, and it's not something that is going to cause the fish to suffer... I'm ok with it. I wont buy them, but I won't hate on somebody who does. Balloon fish on the other hand...

I have a bigger problem with selectively breeding for abnormalities.. like balloon fish. But, as long as the hybrids are sold as hybrids, and it's not something that is going to cause the fish to suffer... I'm ok with it. I wont buy them, but I won't hate on somebody who does. Balloon fish on the other hand...
I agree about ballon fish. I don't think they are attractive, or as healthy. I am not a fan of any species bred be to deformed, bcause there are always complications that hitch hike along too.

I hadn't really thought about hybrids until I got my blood parrots. Now, my husband has 3 and I have 3 and they are definitely our favorite fish. They are so personable, it's like having puppies in fish form. :flowers:

I hadn't really thought about hybrids until I got my blood parrots. Now, my husband has 3 and I have 3 and they are definitely our favorite fish. They are so personable, it's like having puppies in fish form. :flowers:
I have heard people say that their mouths don't close so they can't eat well. But, it seems to me that if they couldn't eat, they would die and not be available for sale. Do you feel they have any issue eating?
Sorry, not trying to pick, just asking. Its cool if you don't want to answer.

They have an interesting mouth actually. It's almost like that creature from "Alien"..... :hide:

Trust me when I say, they have no issues eating. In fact, we hand feed them. They also do a good job sucking up anything that's fallen on the substrate, and that's not much because they're absolute pigs. I've also seen them suck in inch long fish.

They're very sassy and bicker amongst themselves so it actually works in their favor to have their mouths open like that, because no one gets hurt.

Some livebearer hybrids will be able to reproduce however I dont believe all can. I know endlers guppy hybrids can. I agree 100% on ballon mollies to!

Yes, but I have also heard arguments about Endler's and guppies being the same species. I am not sure if I buy into those arguments just yet, but I have heard them. I think sword/platy hybrids can reproduce as well, but I am not positive.

Yes, but I have also heard arguments about Endler's and guppies being the same species. I am not sure if I buy into those arguments just yet, but I have heard them. I think sword/platy hybrids can reproduce as well, but I am not positive.
Yea I have heard that guppy and sailfin molly hybrids cannot but I cannot verify...

There are some species that are very closely related and also hybridize in the wild. I know that the FWC in this state intentionally stocks a bass hybrid.

I agree with mfd though, my only ethical issue is with those that breed hybrids with intentional deformities just because they think that they look cute.

There are some species that are very closely related and also hybridize in the wild. I know that the FWC in this state intentionally stocks a bass hybrid.

I agree with mfd though, my only ethical issue is with those that breed hybrids with intentional deformities just because they think that they look cute.
Yeah, small and large mouth bass breed together like crazy, even though they are technically different species. I worked for the USFWS counting and identifying fish and it wicked hard to know what to call them all. Often, they look more like one or the other, but it was a toss-up when they had clear identifying marks from both species.

I get the whole personality thing with BPs, but the reality is that all SA/CA cichlids of similar size and temperament are that way, without the deformities. There's nothing about a BP's personality that is inherent to that fish. People say the same thing about flowerhorns, but Amphilophus trimaculatus (the Trimac) is exactly like it in terms of personality and aggression, it just qualifies for a Latin name... and IMHO is a much more attractive fish. I don't know, I just don't like the manmade designer hybrid fish at all.

I'm with everyone else on balloon fish- yuck!

I get the whole personality thing with BPs, but the reality is that all SA/CA cichlids of similar size and temperament are that way, without the deformities. There's nothing about a BP's personality that is inherent to that fish. People say the same thing about flowerhorns, but Amphilophus trimaculatus (the Trimac) is exactly like it in terms of personality and aggression, it just qualifies for a Latin name... and IMHO is a much more attractive fish. I don't know, I just don't like the manmade designer hybrid fish at all.

I'm with everyone else on balloon fish- yuck!
That makes sense. I do not have knowledge about cichlids other than a few SA cichlids that can be kept in communities.
In general, I don't think I would want to own one. One benefit that I had considered, was that maybe if people liked those hybrids, it would take pressure off of wild populations of various cichlids. But, when I thought of it more, I now think it would be better to study the natural cichlids and learn to breed them in capivity. Knowledge about fish in captivity does not perfectly transfer to the wild obviously, but it certainly provides a good start.

The thing is, it's environmental pressures that are affecting the wild populations of SA/CA cichlids, not hobby collection. Pollution, habitat destruction, introduction of non-native species, etc... all these factors are a much bigger threat to wild populations than hobby collection so hybrids aren't going to help much there. The hobbyists that are doing collecting trips are the ones that are trying to breed the fish in captivity. There are fish available to hobbyists through captive breeding that are already extinct in the wild.

Not to mention that there is always people who want the rare/exotic/endangered ones anyway, and pay such a high premium that others are willing to break laws or exterminate a local population to meet their demand.

Back
Top Bottom