Hybrids/Crossbreeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing is, it's environmental pressures that are affecting the wild populations of SA/CA cichlids, not hobby collection. Pollution, habitat destruction, introduction of non-native species, etc... all these factors are a much bigger threat to wild populations than hobby collection so hybrids aren't going to help much there. The hobbyists that are doing collecting trips are the ones that are trying to breed the fish in captivity. There are fish available to hobbyists through captive breeding that are already extinct in the wild.
I agree. Like I said, it was a thought that crossed my mind, but I sort of thwarted it too. I do agree with you that habitat destruction (in various forms) and invasive species are a bigger threat. I will add though that extinction and endangerment are highly mutli-dimensional issues. So, I wouldn't necessarily say that hobby collectors have not contributed to the problem. Of course, that is a general statement for me to make since not all fish species or habitats are equal. But, I do know that not all hobby-ists and collectors follow the laws of sustainable collection. That puts a lot of pressure on species which are already under stress from habitat loss or pollution. I am very thankful for the responsible people who work to breed threatened fish in captivity so there is no longer a need for them to caught from the wild. From what I can tell, you seem to be among those people, and I think that is great. :)

In some cases catching fish in the wild is beneficial to the habitat. Case in point; the Cardinal tetra. The annual catch is around 84 million. This number is sustainable, but more importantly, it sustains the local people economically. It is in their best interest to keep the habitat intact to provide a livelihood. Alternatively, rainforest destruction for subsistence farming, is bad for everyone. If the cardinal were to be bred in large numbers in captivity, it could lead to the demise of their habitat, which is the habitat of many other fish and land creature.
As far as Frankenfish, of which the parrot may be the worst example, although angel rams, and ballon fish of various species are right up there, I really hate them as well as the dying and tattooing that is part and parcel of that same industry.

In some cases catching fish in the wild is beneficial to the habitat. Case in point; the Cardinal tetra. The annual catch is around 84 million. This number is sustainable, but more importantly, it sustains the local people economically. It is in their best interest to keep the habitat intact to provide a livelihood. Alternatively, rainforest destruction for subsistence farming, is bad for everyone. If the cardinal were to be bred in large numbers in captivity, it could lead to the demise of their habitat, which is the habitat of many other fish and land creature.
As far as Frankenfish, of which the parrot may be the worst example, although angel rams, and ballon fish of various species are right up there, I really hate them as well as the dying and tattooing that is part and parcel of that same industry.
Thats a good point and a good specific example. I find it hard to imagine that 84 million is sustainble! I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just surprised. It is true that one tactic in conservation is to make the animals (or plants or habitat) worth more alive than dead. Thats what conservationists have been trying to do in other areas for a long time as well.
What is an angel ram?
I most definitely agree about dying! Terrible practice. I didn't know anybody tattoed fish, but that sounds just as bad as dying!

Might be a can if worms you opened up there!!!

But that being said- I personally am not a fan at all of such man-made hybrids (or the other "altered" fish like glofish, painted fish, etc). It's one thing if such a hybrid were a natural occurrence in the wild (quite rare). And while some of the hybrids are physically attractive- many of the flowerhorns are absolutely stunning- but still, the concept bothers me.

Of course- let's be totally honest, is such hybridization any "worse" than the incredibly compounded lnbeeding breeding that has resulted in messed up genetics and very unnatural characteristics?

I don't really have an issue with glofish. It in no way has any effect on the fish other than the coloration... and they were developed as an attempt at locating hazardous waste in our waterways. That's no different, IMO, than genetically altered crops that increase yeilds to help keep enough food for us, and keep it at an affordable price.

As far as the inbreeding thing... that's tough. I don't know the circumstances on that one, so I don't really have an opinion.

I dont really have a probem with glofish. No harmful effects on the fish. It isnt dyed or tattooed and it isnt done to the fish itself just the embryo.

My issue is with balloon fish and glo fish.

Whenever I go to a LFS I get so mad seeing either of those.
Why Glofish? The fish arent harmed and the method of making them that color is 100% humane. The gene was injected into the embryo and the fish was hatched like that. They breed true so probably a good amount if not all of the storebought ones are born that way.
I have a HUGE problem with balloons, blood parrots, and the deformed goldfish. They cant live normally. I also cannot stand tattooed or dyed fish.

one day at my LFS i got 2 molly fry a while ago. it just turns out they were balloon mollies. i just wanted to know whats bad about them???? i always thought they looked a little unusual for fish, but each fish looks different.

one day at my LFS i got 2 molly fry a while ago. it just turns out they were balloon mollies. i just wanted to know whats bad about them???? i always thought they looked a little unusual for fish, but each fish looks different.
Balloon mollies are bred for that deformity. I dont know much about them but it doesnt seem like an easy way to live...

I have glo fish and red blood parrots, I got them before I really knew much about hybrids and I guess in my naïveté had no idea that glo fish were dyed!! Knowing what I know now I would not purchase any glo fish in the future (they were my young daughters idea in the first place). But as far as the BP's I would probably get more because I love their personality, very timid and shy most of the time. As far as the research I've done on them though it's been very conflicting info. Some people say they're cichlids and others say don't confuse the red blood parrot with the parrot cichlid!! Because they're two different species which I find very confusing because I thought they were one and the same. Any how I was at the Lfs a few days ago and as usual thought I would just take a look at their fish variety and noticed they have a jelly bean blood parrot! When I arrived back home I looked them up on my iPad and saw where they're injected with dye and I won't be getting any of those!! :)

I have glo fish and red blood parrots, I got them before I really knew much about hybrids and I guess in my naïveté had no idea that glo fish were dyed!! Knowing what I know now I would not purchase any glo fish in the future (they were my young daughters idea in the first place). But as far as the BP's I would probably get more because I love their personality, very timid and shy most of the time. As far as the research I've done on them though it's been very conflicting info. Some people say they're cichlids and others say don't confuse the red blood parrot with the parrot cichlid!! Because they're two different species which I find very confusing because I thought they were one and the same. Any how I was at the Lfs a few days ago and as usual thought I would just take a look at their fish variety and noticed they have a jelly bean blood parrot! When I arrived back home I looked them up on my iPad and saw where they're injected with dye and I won't be getting any of those!! :)
GLOFISH ARE NOT DYED!!! The color was genetically grafted into a zebra danio embryo and it breeds true! Most likely the Glofish you purchased were born that way without the gene even being grafted in!

Last edited:
Also thought I would add that as far as eating my BPs have no trouble at all eating and like Lynda said they act like pigs at feeding time! I don't care what anyone says deformed or not they're my 3rd favorite fish!! I like their personality they never pick a fight either. As far as someone saying since their deformed they can't live as long I'll just have to see I've had mine about a year or so and they are thriving. :)

GodFan said:
GLOFISH ARE NOT DYED!!! The color was genetically grafted into a zebra danio embryo and it breeds true! Most likely the Glofish you purchased were born that way without the gene even being grafted in!

Whoa!! Sorry but I read that they were dyed and last time I was at the lfs there was one swimming around all Crazy ( poor little guy) for some reason the dye or whatever they had used was only on half his body and the other half looked like a zebra danio! I couldn't stand there and watch him suffer so my daughter and I went and told a manager. :-( was sad!

Whoa!! Sorry but I read that they were dyed and last time I was at the lfs there was one swimming around all Crazy ( poor little guy) for some reason the dye or whatever they had used was only on half his body and the other half looked like a zebra danio! I couldn't stand there and watch him suffer so my daughter and I went and told a manager. :-( was sad!
Sorry lol Im not mad btw. But they are not dyed. Most likely the one you saw was mutated (happens in natural species) or was the result of a regular zebra mating with a glofish. It probably just happened to be sick. Read on their official site. And if you dont trust them (I wouldnt blame you) you can see by 2 things. 1)they will NEVER lose their color 2)the offspring are still glofish (in fact their is a really cool cross I saw that made a long finned glofish)

The only problem I have with glofish is that now that the technology is out there, they are going to do it to other fish also, so in time theres going to be all kinds of ridiculous looking genetically altered fish strains. Don't believe me? Taiwan Lab Creates Fluorescent Angelfish - YouTube

Where do we draw the line?
Ok I wanna start with this. I do believe you and totally respect that (theyve made glowing cats too btw) Fro What I saw on the video though that glowing stuff is injected (based on watching them with the needles. Dont have sound available right now lol)
As long as they dont replace regular fish I can deal with it but I would prefer we didnt do all that....

Glo-in-the dark angelfish? No thanks, I'll stick to the glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling.

As for hybrids, personally as long as it's only just selective breeding and not horribly mutated fish, I'm fine with it. Blood parrots are OK, not the prettiest fish, but they're alright. Painted and tattooed fish on the other hand are NOT acceptable IMO, that's cruel and unusual. As for fish bred to have deformities.

GodFan said:
Sorry lol Im not mad btw. But they are not dyed. Most likely the one you saw was mutated (happens in natural species) or was the result of a regular zebra mating with a glofish. It probably just happened to be sick. Read on their official site. And if you dont trust them (I wouldnt blame you) you can see by 2 things. 1)they will NEVER lose their color 2)the offspring are still glofish (in fact their is a really cool cross I saw that made a long finned glofish)

No problem! Yeah your right maybe that one was sick! But I do agree with jetajockey ....... Where do we draw the line? But I'm sure as long as there are consumers to buy them they'll keep producing them in cruel and unusual ways!! That's why people really should read up on fish before they buy but I know unless your hobbyists like us, there will still be tons of people at lfs getting new fish that have no idea..............:)

Back
Top Bottom