Hydra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a hydra attached to a stone under the cave in my 10 gal QT. I moved the cave and now I can't find the hydra. What is the preferred treatment for Hydra? I don't have any current residents that cannot be moved.

I had a large amount of hydra in my QT tank as well. It was newly cycled and only had 1 small barb healing from some nipping. I've heard they pose no threat to any fish other than fry, but do not know if open sore wounds would allow a point of entry/attachment. Let me know if you find out since I'd be interested.

The hydra went away on their own after I started up a snail farm when the barb was put back in the main tank. All of those snails caused quite the ugly water, and I've heard hydra are indicators of really good water conditions.

Why do you want to get rid of it? Its cute.

If hydra are indicative of good water they should be EXTREMELY easy to get rid of. I have some ammonia you could use. :lol:

Why are you worried about it? Are you planning to breed more danios in there?

7Enigma said:
I've heard they pose no threat to any fish other than fry, but do not know if open sore wounds would allow a point of entry/attachment.

you make it sound like hydra are parasites, they are not IME. hydra catch and eat their own prey, preferably little daphnia. like mentioned above, they are only problem makers with fry

Back
Top Bottom