I have a few spots of what seems to be bryopsis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just noticed about a week ago that I have a few spots of what seems to be bryopsis. It looks like it came in on a frag I purchased about a week ago. I only have a few strands on a couple different rocks. It doesn't seem to be growing all that fast. Unfortunately I cant take the rocks out because of course it has to be on the rocks that are at the base of my aquascaping. I would love to just pluck the few strands I have but I'm worried about it spreading.

As of right now I am raising my magnesium with Kent Tech M and I'm at about 1500 right now. Other than that, I'm pretty much going to wait and see what happens. Also have my GFO reactor going and I'm changing it about every 2 weeks. Macro in my fuge is worthless as it just wilts away (chaeto) in a couple of days. I guess what little bryopsis I have is out competing it.

Should I keep doing what I'm doing or should I be trying something else? I dont want it to get worse but I'm pretty sure theres a reason why its not growing quick. Hopefully I'm starving it of what it needs.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

why are you raising your magnesium? just curious :)

useful pages

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

Another view on Algae control - helpful tips

Algae control in salt water tanks

3 main things i find that help
-less feeding (once every 2 or 3 days) this includes not overfeeding
-less lighting..specially if there is no corals
-more water changes

Sorry i have no idea what a GFO reactor is

I feed very little every other day and I have been doing weekly water changes. GFO is Granular Ferric Oxide (phosphate remover).

Supposedly if you raise you mag levels to 1600 or higher (mainly with kent tech m) it may kill off the bryopsis. I'm at 2000 now and its not going away.

How did the raising of mag go? Did it effect anything else in the tank (inverts,corals)? I have macro algae and hair algae that i cant seem to kill off. Have tried everythingg i listed and it has seemed to go down slightly but is still there!

How did the raising of mag go? Did it effect anything else in the tank (inverts,corals)? I have macro algae and hair algae that i cant seem to kill off. Have tried everythingg i listed and it has seemed to go down slightly but is still there!

It went well. I actually raised the Magnesium as high as 2000. Bryopsis was gone within a week and all my livestock (soft corals, snails, fish, shrimp) are all fine. I did notice that my dwarf cerith snails were not as active during the whole process but everything else acted normal.

I dont think the high magnesium will help with the hair algae. I actually have a weird hair algae outbreak now as well. Its sort of green/brown hair algae. Never had so many problems with algae until I started this tank and I'm doing everything the same as I always have. Very weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe redoing my aquascaping to get rid of dead spots. Maybe I just have to much live rock cramped in the tank.

Good to hear, thanks! I was thinking of possibly doing a blackout as well...i read that most corals shouldn't die from it. Wont be able to try anything until i have more time off from school though so it may be awhile.

Back
Top Bottom