I just don't get why people like Bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuG

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dunno, I guess there must be something about Bristlenose Plecos that attracts people to them, but I just don't see it.
Am I the only one that finds these to be kind of an ugly little fish?
No offense to those of you that like them. To each their own and all that.
Maybe they have really cool characteristics?

It is not their looks, it is their ability to control almost any kind of algae, not outgrow almost any tank, not bother plants, not bother fancy goldfish, not bother discus, thrive in almost any tank, thrive in almost any hardness/pH, and they don't look bad either.

IMO it's everything fishguy said plus (for me) since it really helps to have some kind algae eating animal, why not use ones that are more interesting looking?

And what up NC, how was your hurricane party?

Fishguy2727 said:
It is not their looks, it is their ability to control almost any kind of algae, not outgrow almost any tank, not bother plants, not bother fancy goldfish, not bother discus, thrive in almost any tank, thrive in almost any hardness/pH, and they don't look bad either.

Pretty much sums it up. I rarely see mine, but as he grows he should get cooler looking imo. They also deal with aggression well.

I must admit, at first I was creeped out by the bristles, so I can totally understand where the OP is coming from.

But with time, my albino BN really grew on me. I like him a lot now. And the bristles no longer creep me out, I think they look kind of cool. Almost alien looking lol. I still don't really like the look of the regular BN too much, but I suppose if I had one it would probably grow on me too.

And like everyone else has pointed out, they're incredibly diligent workers, stay relatively small, don't mess with anyone and for the most part don't get messed with.

okeydokey. Those certainly sound like good and valid reasons for owning one.
I still don't like 'em though ;)

i kinda like them,but not enough to fork over the $15 my LFS wants for them. if they were cheapeer,id probably have one

Wow, that sounds pretty pricey. Are they generally an expensive store? Or just on those?
I guess I prefer to have other types of catfish, like corys and otos.
As I previously mentioned though, each to their own.
You know the more I think about it though, Patterson is right, they remind me of the alien in the predator movies!

It depends on the size and where they are getting them from. Smalls are usually under $10, but large (especially full grown wild caught) may sell for $20. There are some fancier varieties out now like longfin albino, I may hate these but they may also be more expensive. There are also a couple species of bristlenose, so something like a spotted that may be available from time to time may be more or more marked up than a normal variety.

Haha I think the regular ones are kinda ugly. But I find the albino ones to be pretty. Especially the females. As they have little to no bristles

alLexX said:
i kinda like them,but not enough to fork over the $15 my LFS wants for them. if they were cheapeer,id probably have one

Woahh. Mine sold them at around 2-3 inches for $5

My LFS gets babies regularly from a local breeder, they sell them for bout 5.00 each they bout 3-5" they SO cute!

I had one for a while, but I genuinely hoped it would turn out to be a girl because I also find the boys to be creepy looking. Lol. It died though. Now, I keep pitbull plecos and I like them worlds better.

I like the fish, but like you said to each thier own. I dislike anything albino. Weird I know but they freak me out lol and I have no care to ever go salt water. I like the fish thier beautiful and all but just have no interest. I do want to get a green dragon pleco they seem awesome too.

Back
Top Bottom