I never thought i would keep an Oscar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have adopted an 6" or so Oscar from a student, her mother was going to throw him out in a snow bank because he was killing the other Oscar in the tank. although i have never been interested in having an Oscar, i could not let him die like that! :confused:

now "Diablo" as the girl had named him, is living the life as a science class pet. luckily i had an empty 45 gallon just siting around. gave him some gravel, a couple Terra cotta pots and a few fake plants with weighted bottoms for him to move around the tank.

the first week or so he was very shy, and liked to play dead when anyone come near the tank (with 7 periods of 15-20 kids each, a lot of people walk past the tank :-?) but he is now adjusting, and showing more and more of his personality. i think we can all agree that as a group cichlids have the most personality, that is why many of us love them, but Diablo becomes more and more like a puppy every day, coming to greet me in the morning when i get to school (feeding time). i have even watched him observing the class while they work. plus the kids like him. knock on wood that he can survive the occasional knock on the glass or pencil in his tank and he will be a good addition to the class.

i am trying to ween him onto a better diet however, and he is coming along with that too. his previous owner feed him feeder goldfish and earthworms. i have switched him to NLS and TetraCichlid sticks :silly: so hopefully he can color up better, and i can avoid the dreaded hole in the head :-?

anyways thanks for reading any suggestions and advice on Oscar is appreciated.

Last edited:
Yep, agree with Jchillin. I'm so glad you stopped the feeder goldfish. The potential of introducing a disease to Diablo isn't worth the risk of feeder fish. Keeping the tank clean is about the best you can do for him.

Back
Top Bottom