I think I've created a Monster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I think I've mentioned a few times that my oldest son asked for his own fish tank for his birthday last month. Well, all I've been hearing about is what driftwood/rocks he wants and what plants he wants to get for his tank! I haven't shared any pics yet, so I thought I would. He arranged everything himself and I think he did pretty well for an 8 year old. (The only thing I helped with was the java moss covered rock which he insisted on having since I have some in my main tank.) So far he just has java ferns, the java moss, and a sword but I'm sure he'll have more plants in there as soon as he has some more $.

img_1239627_0_422ac9b8962c78da15da4ac80cba48b7.jpg

Side view-

img_1239627_1_07a5c9157b07d5acbaa76ef7f9d3f4de.jpg

Very nice. Are those pink flowers real or fake I like them.

The pink flowers are fake, but they do give a nice splash of color to the tank. :)

The only real plants he has are the java ferns (at the bridge) and the sword near the driftwood piece.

That tank looks awesome, tell your son congratulations!

Lutea is a nice plant that grows quickly under decent light. Mine tripled in size in three months under 36W of T5 light. I'm thinking about dividing it because it's gotten so big.

To be honest, I don't think I ever even checked the watts on his fixture. It nothing fancy, just the light that came with the canopy that I bought for his tank. His bedroom gets a lot of sunlight where as the rest of our house is fairly dark..I'm sure that helps a little. I had no idea he was going to be so outspoken about having real plants/rocks/wood in his tank until after we started setting it up! Anyway, hopefully it grows well for him. His java ferns seem fairly happy and have been producing baby java fern.

I have to agree with Flake. The tank is gorgeous! Is it bad for a grown man to be envious of an 8 year old;)? I wish I had his eye for aquascaping!

Aww..thank you! :D He's very opinionated about how things should be. lol I can't wait to see if he still feels this way about his tank in a few years!

oh my word, my tank is a shame compared to his...very nice eye for aquascaping. you are a great example alisha....congrats to him and to you....:) it is so nice to know kids who take great interest in things like this...most kids don't want to get involve in a hobby that will take a lot of responsibility. :)

Good for you and your son for finding something to do together. It's so much better than what most kids do for fun. Plus, he's really awesome at it. He can come do mine! Hehehe

Back
Top Bottom