Ideas for fish to befriend my gourmai please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's a quick summary of my setups/ situation before I start asking my numerous questions:
I just set up a ten gallon about two weeks ago. I started off with two dwarf gouramis- a flame and a neon blue. The flame is significantly bigger than the neon, and basically terrorised him into a corner of the tank. The neon wasn't moving except for the few times that the flame chased him around. I couldn't bring myself to return either of them to the store, so I bought a five gallon and put the neon in there. He is doing very well now and swimming around like crazy, as is the flame. A few days ago, I added two albino cory catfish to the ten gallon. Everything is going well right now, but I just want some advice from people who really know what they're talking about, and the people who work in the Petco across the street don't seem to fit the bill.
First, I definitely want to get the neon gourami a friend. I have been seriously considering a female gourmai, but I have read mixed results about this. I read one woman who described her agressive gourami as "whipped" into peaceful submission when she got him a female. But then I have read other people say a sole male and female are a bad combination. I am not trying to breed them, although if that happens it happens. I just want to make the fish that I currently have as happy as possible, and this seems like a good, natural way of doing it. What are your thoughts? If getting him a female friend is a bad idea, I am thinking of a few neon tetras. What do you think would be better?
Secondly, I want to add another fish to the ten gallon, but because of the agression that the flame gourami displayed, I am stumped as to what would be compatible. He gets along quite well with the corys, but they are mostly at the bottom and out of his way, and I am not sure how he would act with another top/ mid dwelling fish. But I really do want another fish in the tank, so what are your suggestions? I really love both the dwarf gouramis and my cory cats, they are all so active and full of personality. The corys wiggle over each other like little puppies.
My LAST question for now (I promise!) is about the filter in my five gallon tank. It came with the tank, and it is a whisper power filter. It seems to cause a very strong current that really carries my neon gourami around and appears hard for him to swim against. There is no way to lower the setting, so I was wondering if I should get another whisper filter like the one in my ten gallon that I could just turn on lower, or if I should get another type of filter altogether?
Thank you in advance for reading through all of this. I realize it's a lot, but I have a lot of questions and am planning to go to a specialized aquarium store on Sunday and want to have all the information possible. I have become quite obsessed with my two tanks, and this definitely has the potential of becoming a major hobby for me, which is true for very few other things. My friends/boyfriend don't understand my obsession, so I figured it was time to seek out some people who do. Sorry for the massive length of this post.

I too am pretty new to all this aquarium care. I had fish as a kid, but I don't remember too much of it. Anyway, since aquiring a 20 gallon and setting it up, i have become quite obsessed. I already lost all of my fish due to new tank syndrome. I have learned soooooooooooooooooo much from everyone here at this site. There are some really helpful and informative people. Gosh, I hope you had you first tank cycle before you pt all the fish in it. Something I have learned the very hard way :cry:
Welcome aboard and I hope you find the help you need. I am sorry I can't help with the filter situation. I myself have a penguin 125 bio on my tank and it doesn't have anyway to turn it down, but in a 20 gallon I guess it doesn't matter. :)

hi , i'm not familiar with what power filter you have , if its an internal filter, and has awater outlet on the side ,try putting on a spray bar , this lessens the force of water and it comes out of holes all the way onlong the bar. hope this helps, as for the situation with gouramis, my experience is that they are best kept male with female , but they can get a bit tempermental. jackie

jackie- thanks so much for the filter suggestion. i just hope we are talking about the same kind of filter since i'm not sure what you mean when you say an "internal filter." (i'm new to all this aquaria lingo!) my filter hangs on the back of the aquarium and pumps water through a pipe a few inches above the gravel and then pours it back out of a black box type thing. it's pretty much a common tropical tank filter. so could i put a spray bar on that? it sounds like it would have the exact result that i am looking for, so if so i will go and pick one up this weekend.

hollieo, as for my tank cycling, i went into this a lot less informed than i should have. the people who helped me at petco didn't mention cycling at all. my ammonia levels are gradually coming down, so hopefully the tank is almost cycled. if it wasn't for all the information on this site, i don't know what postition i would be in now! so far, i still have all my fish and they all seem to be doing pretty well. the only thing that frustrates me is that the ph of my tapwater is really high. i am doing 20 % water changes every few days (which i know might slow down the cycle but what's more important to me is keeping the fish alive!) with distilled water, so hopefully that will help.

i still have tons of questions and would love more advice. do you think a ph of 7.6 is too high for my fish? i think the pet store probably had around the same level since it's right across the street and they definitely use the same water. it's higher in the ten gallon for some reason. i'm thinking of putting a piece of driftwood in there. i'm not going to get anymore fish until i'm sure both tanks are finished cycling. but then i'm definitely going to get a female for the gourami in the five gallon, since he seems like a really peaceful fish and keeps making bubble nests on the floating plastic plants. but i am still stumped as to what kind of fish i could put in the ten gallon, since that gourami is definitely temperamental. he doesn't bother the cory cats though. any ideas? thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom