Illegal plant???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i'm at work and guy is looking at some anacharis narrow leaf and says to me "i'm suprised you guys have this, did you know this is illegal to keep?" I'm just wondering if what he told me is true. Is anacharis illegal to keep and grow in CT? If someone could help me out with some answers i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Anacharis is illegal in some states. I believe it's illegal in Vermont, so it could easily be illegal in Connecticut.

Because people have decided to toss it into the local waters to get rid of it and it then takes over.

Hmm, I read on one site that it is in fact illegal in ct but it wasn't a credible source. But I'd really like to find out for sure so our store doesn't get in trouble. Also I wonder why a fish wholesaler would knowingly sell an illegal plant. Can someone verify the legality of it please??

In texas it's an introduced native. They realized it's never going away....But down here we have lost a lot of plants available to us...

At least this weed invasion is nothing like the asian carp. Unless this weed is getting into every's propeller and wrapping around swimmers left to the right.

Called the DEP, the Egeria densa is in fact banned due to it's highly invasive nature. We carry Egeria najas, anacharis narrow leaf. They told me that particular strain isn't banned but should be, and recommended not to use it because it grows in the same invasive manner.

It's the invasive nature which is the problem. As aquarists we seek plants which will grow without problems, and suit many different water parameters. So by their very nature a lot of the plants we use will survive just fine if they manage to get into any lakes or rivers near us. They are sometimes much more successful than plants which exist there currently and can kill those plants. We also usually seek plants that fish avoid eating, and this means not only do the plants kill native plants, they wind up reducing fish numbers, which has a chain reaction again... I can see why they ban plants.

Exactly. Nobody wants another incident like the whole caulerpa taxifolia in the Mediterranean/California thing.

Back
Top Bottom