in_breeding fish good or evil????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

in_breeding fish good or evil????

• good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • evil

• dont care

• Total voters
Somewhere in the midddle. Inbreeding anything is not particuarly a good idea, but I would much rather you imbreed something and give it to your buddies rather than rip some new fish out of the wild.

Yeah, you should add an "other" or "well, let me equivocate" category to your poll.

Its good in moderation to bring out certain " family " traits and such.

Its bad when its even ALLOWED to get to the point of causing malformations and abnormalities. It should never be allowed to get to that point, however this is the point to where it becomes bad.

without inbreeding we wouldnt have all the great discus available to us today.

in breeding has started too take the aggresiveness out of cichlids and also make them smaller and take there colors away , fish looked much better 20 or more years ago. possum how do you figure that with out inbreeding there wouldnt be all of the great discus available today?

I am somewhere in the middle. I know that I will probably have inbreeding in my tank because I just don't have the room to invest in several males to keep the gene pool good. I would like to avoid this from happening but I have to face the facts that it is going to happen.

I also agree with RogerMcAllen, I would rather inbreed and give the fry to my friends than see another fish pulled from it's enviroment for sale at a LFS.

with out inbreeding there wouldnt be all of the great discus available today?

Totally true, applies to FW Angels too, probaly a bunch of livebearers also. The genetics are more complex than I can understand, but you have to crossbreed/inbreed for many generations to get many of the awesome colors that discus and Angels have today. I think it also applies to mollies, guppies, swordtails and the like.

Inbreeding

Inbreeding is necessary in raising fancy guppies to "fix" a strain. Guppies can tolerate may generations of inbreeding before showing any genetic deficiencies. It has it's pluses and minuses, but it is an important breeding tool for all guppy, angel fish, discus and other specialty breeders, as previously stated.

I refer you to an excellent, concise explanation of basic inbreeding and outcrossing at http://www.petsforum.com/ppga/midgehilloutcross.html

Virtually,

Guppyman

Inbreeding is fine if you are trying to fix a particular trait such as red eyes in Discus. The problems that can arise are deformaties that need to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom