Injured fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jones

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya

*long post sorry*

I had a pregnant platy in my main tank that I separated into a smaller tank to give birth. The small tank is only 12litres so I had bought an external filter because I thought it would take up a lot of room. The suction part of the filter is a vertical tube and is quite powerful but I never thought it would be a problem.
My platy gave birth and I separated the babies so she wouldn't eat them or anything. I later found her wrapped around the filter tube and the suction holding her there. I quickly removed her from it and turned off the filter, but her spine was already really bent and she had trouble swimming. I have since bought a new filter that takes up more room but no chance of injury.
My platy's spine is straight now but she has trouble swimming and ends up stuck in the current. I've put her in a floating nursery for now. She can swim for a few seconds every now and then but is mostly lying on her side. It's been nearly a week since she got injured and she's slowly improving but I don't think she'll ever be able to swim properly.
Anyone got any advice as to treatment or anything extra I can be doing to help her along?
Thanks

Fish getting stuck on the filter can be a sign it was already sick and weak. Did you see any issues before the incident?

How is the fish today?

If its an injury there probably isnt much to be done. If the fish is suffering and its condition isnt improving then the best option might be euthanasia. My red line for this is, can the fish swim, is it eating. Everyone will have their own criteria for deciding on this route.

She's doing a bit better today �� she's moving more and is managing to stay upright for short amounts of time. She's eating but not very often because I think she loses energy quite quickly.
Other than her giving birth I didn't see any signs of any injury or weakness so I don't know if she was just knackered from giving birth or something ��*♀️

Gonna monitor her for a while and see how much she moves every day and if it gets better

Back
Top Bottom