introducing new clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I read the article on setting up a qt. I'm setting that up tonight. I have a maroon clown and a ytang currently in 55. Got a few q's.
Should I introduce the clowns to each other in the qt? Or should I just put the new one in the main tank after qt?
During qt, should I do pwc every few days or so? Or how often?
Should I feed normally every other day?
Should I treat preventatively for ich or just observe?
Thanks!

First off, I am hoping your existing maroon clown is small and you haven't had it too long. They are quite aggressive. You would not move the maroon back to quarantine just to "introduce" them to each other. What you should do when you are ready to put the new clown in the main tank is rearrange the rockwork a bit, shut off the lights (leave them off for several hours at least) and then put the new fish in.

I do not know how your qtine tank is set up as to filtration and such. If you do not have any filtration on it and the clown is the only one in there, I would do partial water changes every couple days. Be sure to be testing during this time tho so you can catch it if things start to go off. Yes, feed the fish lightly, every other day sounds good.

No need to treat for something if you do not have it in my opinion. Just watch for signs of illness.

Thanks. Yes the clown is small - 2", and I've had it for 3 months. This should work right? If anyone thinks this is not a good idea, I will not do it. From what I have read so far, it seems to be ok if the clown is small.
The filtration is a small whisper filter and I'm going to use the media from the main tank.

just keep a close eye on things. hopefully the clowns will work it out, but it is always a 50/50 shot.

Back
Top Bottom