is the cycling done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a 20 gallon tank. first I used live sand for about 3 weeks. some diatoms started to develop. later some bright green alge started to develop. I then added two yellow tailed damsels with some pvc for hiding. they both died. let it sit for about a week with dead fish. Then added two stripped damsels, 12 turbo and 14 pounds of live rock which came with a crab and a hermit crab. the perameters are ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10, pH-8.4-5, SG-1.025 and temp is 79. all seem correct but the fish died again. I haven't seen the crab since I bought the live rock. is the tank done cycling and if so why are the fish dying

The only think I can think of is that something is wrong with your test kits. Are they brand new? That's a lot of fish loss, and as you know damsels are very hardy. I think your ammonia is really high and your tank is not done cycling yet. Do you have a skimmer? Also, for a small tank like yours it takes longer to cycle. Lets see what the others have to say.

Back
Top Bottom