Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, keep it simple Joey. IMO, tanks are more aesthetically pleasing and soothing with less species. Tends to look like a mad house. I liked my tank the most when I only had a large school of neons and my otos.

Last edited:
Yeah, keep it simple Joey. IMO, tanks are more aesthetically pleasing and soothing with less species. Tends to look like a mad house. I liked my tank the most when I only had a large school of neons and my otos.
Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I may take back the 3 neons I have and the Cory and add a few more Harlequins and Rummies.

Awesome! I'm think a school of maybe 9 Pygmy cories would be awesome.

Yeah, I've been wanting to keep some of those eventually, but I've been dying for some rummies. Are yours constantly active and school together? I find my neons "hangout" together more so than move about the tank. Every once in a while one will stray off to the other side and they all follow. I'd like some active swimmers!

Ps. I like how for a while I saw a lot of people saying "oh, no neons in a ten gallon, they are too active!" Really? Cuz mine just sit there the majority of the time in a 36" long tank... :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been wanting to keep some of those eventually, but I've been dying for some rummies. Are yours constantly active and school together? I find my neons "hangout" together more so than move about the tank. Every once in a while one will stray off to the other side and they all follow. I'd like some active swimmers!
my Rummies are always together and schooling nicely. They are much more active than the neons which is why I thought of trading them in for some more Rummies or harlequins. Harlequins are good active schoolers, too. Especially the lamb chop variety. They stay a lot smaller and are more colorful, active schoolers.

my Rummies are always together and schooling nicely. They are much more active than the neons which is why I thought of trading them in for some more Rummies or harlequins. Harlequins are good active schoolers, too. Especially the lamb chop variety. They stay a lot smaller and are more colorful, active schoolers.

Thanks man, good to know. I love how colorful neons are, but they aren't nearly as active as I'd like them to be.

Yeah, that's the main reason I won't go with them. With the occasional jumper, it's much easier to replace stock with something that can be had locally.

I agree. I was really contemplating a large school of Chilis at one point, but having to order them and possibly replace them, it was too much of a hassle.

I got three Pygmy cories today. Are they ever awesome! I will probably get 3 more when I get rid of the neons and the peppered Cory.

On the topic of a RODI system-- check around. My local aquarium maintenance business gives out free RODI water. While they're open you can come in and take as much as you want. I'm thinking about getting some 55 gallon barreles and stocking up.

On the topic of a RODI system-- check around. My local aquarium maintenance business gives out free RODI water. While they're open you can come in and take as much as you want. I'm thinking about getting some 55 gallon barreles and stocking up.

I see used water carriers on CL all the time...

Here is a 55G drum ad: 55-GALLON CLOSED PLASTIC DRUMS

There is also a guy selling 275G IBC Totes in SS cages for $100 each: 275 Gallon Water Tank IBC TOTE Container

As long as you can store it in a cool and dark spot (not exposed to sun) you should be fine

I wonder what your local aquarium maintenance guy would say when you roll up with either one of these to fill :popcorn:

I see used water carriers on CL all the time...

Here is a 55G drum ad: 55-GALLON CLOSED PLASTIC DRUMS

There is also a guy selling 275G IBC Totes in SS cages for $100 each: 275 Gallon Water Tank IBC TOTE Container

As long as you can store it in a cool and dark spot (not exposed to sun) you should be fine

I wonder what your local aquarium maintenance guy would say when you roll up with either one of these to fill :popcorn:

I think the limit is 125g per day . Id have to check.

Alright guys!

Yesterday was two months since I've had this thing set up! I need to clean those pipes :( I'm always afraid of breaking them. I was having slight co2 issues, so I had to add a Hydor Pico 180. This is a nice little pump. I added that three days ago and things are looking great. Everything is pearling more than I have ever seen. Macrandra is looking better. I also had to add a heater. The approaching winter is making my room colder and temps were dropping to around 71°. I started seeing some fin rot, so I dosed some Erythromycin I had laying around. I'm not sure if it worked, but I know it affects gram negative bacteria. I read somewhere that fin rot was caused by a gran negative bacteria, also, so I just dosed a packet and brought my temps up. It disappeared and I didn't lose any fish. I added 3 Pygmy cories a week ago and 3 Corydora Hasbrosus (sp?) I believe. This week my last fish came in. I finally got the 6 Rummies I ordered a month ago. They school so nicely and are very active.

I would recommend the eheim 2215, however, I would suggest the 2217 on this size tank. Maybe it is just me, but I like more flow to my tanks. The 2215 was perfect at first but the flow reduces significantly over the "break in" period.

Now here's something crazy! I have had a concussion for about a year and a half now. Headaches everyday, other symptoms, you name it. I went in for an MRI two weeks ago and coincidentally they found a tumor in my right cerebellum. It's not cancerous, but it has the potential to grow and disrupt things. So the concussion may have been a blessing! The tank will be on auto pilot for about 2 weeks after my surgery. My dad will dose my ferts and my absurd amount of glut. We will see what happens.

Now for some pics!

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/k...le Uploads/image_zps70ce6e18.jpg.html?filters[user]=137972219&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Looking good! I like the colorful plants :) I hope everything is ok with your head.

Last edited:
Wow Joey, that's quite an update. I hope everything works out for the best. Be brave, be strong and I wish you a speedy recovery. Your tank will be waiting for you, as will we.

Back
Top Bottom